Was there some change in 2.0.14/15 with colors?

Started by efk, March 10, 2019, 09:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efk

I noticed that brown turned to pale red, and brown doesn't exist anymore except if used for old membergroups. So brown doesn't exist anymore and not sure if any from other colors are affected. Anyone noticed that? If yes is it known what is causing that.
Color for text - brown
Also for 2.0.16, is it possible to add more colors to the list, default to be 2x more.

asdasd
asdasdas
adasd
asdasd
asdasd
asdasd
adssd
sadas
dasds
asdsd
asdsd
asdad
asdxa
assdd
assdd

Kindred

No.  Nothing changed for colors... and no. Neither 2.0.x nor 2.1.x will get more than they already have in the default
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: efk on March 10, 2019, 09:06:27 PM
I noticed that brown turned to pale red, and brown doesn't exist anymore except if used for old membergroups.
What do you mean with "used for old membergroups"?
Quote from: efk on March 10, 2019, 09:06:27 PM
So brown doesn't exist anymore and not sure if any from other colors are affected. Anyone noticed that? If yes is it known what is causing that.
Color for text - brown
Also for 2.0.16, is it possible to add more colors to the list, default to be 2x more.
You are aware that you can use codes for colors?

Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Gary

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 11, 2019, 12:37:48 AM
Effectively meaning that SMF can have upto 16,777,216 colours. So given that, there's not really much need to increase the available list, in fact, the list itself is tied to colours that CSS will accept natively, so what's shown will end up being down to the browser at that point.

Even our Documentation indicates that Hexadecimal RGB codes can be used: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Color
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Kindred

I'm pretty sure that he was asking for more colors predefined in the default drop down
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

efk

So I guess something really changed in 2.0.14 or more probably 2.0.15 and affected brown to became red.
Dropdown can easily have 5-10 more colors, more options for users, without need to add them manually.

@Aleksi
2-4 years ago I created membergroups in brown color, have 3 of them
We used this form in Edit Membergroup/Group name
<b><font color="green">Head Ban & Unban Moderator</font></b>
and for some reason it ended up to be without color name part for half of membergroups, see example for another one, font color disappeared, without changing visual color, so Brown for membergroup which is set long ago is still there, but if I do any edit ot Group name, brown will disappear forever. I'm now 100% sure that latest SMF versions caused this since it happened to 2 forums that I'm using, not sure if some mod could cause that since I'm using similar mods on both forums. So Brown is not Red, and you can see it is red on SMF as well or to rename SMF to SMF daltone. Odd :P
<b>Ban & Unban Trial Moderator</b>

QuoteYou are aware that you can use codes for colors?
Yeah, I even asked few months ago how to add more colors, or clicked on notify, but my coders afraid to touch too much around php - their words so I guess that gives me right to ask for at least 5 more colors to be used.

Edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors

text or more BB Code
text or more BB Code
text or more BB Code
text or more BB Code
text or more BB Code
[color=olive]text or more BB Code[/color]
[color=gray]text or more BB Code[/color]
[color=silver]text or more BB Code[/color]
[color=DarkSeaGreen]text or more BB Code[/color]
[color=DarkSalmon]text or more BB Code[/color]

Quote from: Gazmanafc on March 11, 2019, 12:47:36 AM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 11, 2019, 12:37:48 AM
Effectively meaning that SMF can have upto 16,777,216 colours. So given that, there's not really much need to increase the available list, in fact, the list itself is tied to colours that CSS will accept natively, so what's shown will end up being down to the browser at that point.

Even our Documentation indicates that Hexadecimal RGB codes can be used: https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Color
So its browser fault for displaying wrong color? If yes, that doesn't explain why on 2 forums name like this
<b><font color="green">Head Ban & Unban Moderator</font></b>
ended up on its own to, without human to edit it, and keeping exactly the same previously given color, but not code
<b>Head Ban & Unban Moderator</b>
That's why I consider this as bug, but you will probably understand why is it happening, and what is my question, do you see that Red as Brown, or we see exactly the same thing.

Thanks Gazmanafc, this is something that I didn't knew. Completely changing my point of view on things, so there is really no reason for more than default colors, but please add more examples to this page so every user can understand it, like this most of us won't even think about it https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Color

Thanks guys, found new things in your posts.

Arantor

I assure you nothing changed in 2.0.14 or 2.0.15 for colours.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: efk on March 11, 2019, 07:29:31 PM
Thanks guys, found new things in your posts.
If some color name is giving you issues, you can also use any html color code for membergroups, just like you can for post text in the examples.
For codes, here's a good resource https://htmlcolorcodes.com/

For brown versus red, well - the default "brown" is actually a bit reddish to my eye, but that's not because of SMF.
BROWN #A52A2A
SADDLEBROWN #8B4513
UNNAMED #6E2C00
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

efk

Odd..

See attachment, there is existing but bugged brown which exist on its own since its untouched for long time. If we see the same thing..
In past that was brown, now its that from Aleksi's post #A52A2A

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I would say that your browser has either changed or updated it's color handling.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

efk

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 12, 2019, 11:25:29 AM
I would say that your browser has either changed or updated it's color handling.
Unfortunately no, just got report that others see exactly the same like me. I thought today that it might be drivers on my pc, but other people see the same thing, i checked with 2 browsers. Same on this forum. The thing is in past it wasn't red.

Arantor

Browsers finally getting their **** together and actually implementing the CSS 2.1 spec. It was laid down that 'brown' meant #a52a2a in 2011, ratified in 2016 but browsers didn't actually necessarily adhere to it until recently.

Don't rely on the names, use hex colours.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: efk on March 13, 2019, 06:48:33 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 12, 2019, 11:25:29 AM
Unfortunately no, just got report that others see exactly the same like me. I thought today that it might be drivers on my pc, but other people see the same thing, i checked with 2 browsers. Same on this forum. The thing is in past it wasn't red.
It is quite common for browser updates to reach multiple users at the same time.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: