Mod for limiting guests to viewing only the first 20 topics on your board

Started by billy yellow, March 08, 2019, 01:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy yellow

Does anyone have a MOD or know where I might find a Mod that would limit guests (non-members) to viewing only the first 20 topics on my board. If they want to view all the topics beyond the first 20 (2 pages) they must join and become a member. I've seen this Mod on forums other than SimpleMachines. Thanks

br360

Welcome to SMF. There is this mod that is close to what you are looking for-https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4169

It is for 2.0.x though and not 2.1

What version of SMF are you actually using?

Arantor

The only problem with such mods is that they're usually either trivial to work around, or they block you getting into search engines, which may or may not hamper your growth.

billy yellow

Quote from: br360 on March 08, 2019, 01:39:45 AM
Welcome to SMF. There is this mod that is close to what you are looking for-https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4169

It is for 2.0.x though and not 2.1

What version of SMF are you actually using?

I'm using Börü [SMF 2.0 - Responsive Theme] Is 2.0.x different than 2.0?

billy yellow

Quote from: Arantor on March 08, 2019, 02:35:23 AM
The only problem with such mods is that they're usually either trivial to work around, or they block you getting into search engines, which may or may not hamper your growth.

Blocked getting into search engines? How can that be? If you have a forum that requires membership to see any of the boards threads, as many do, wouldn't that mean those boards wouldn't even be seen by search engines?

Arantor

That doesn't make sense in context of the question.

If the forum requires membership to see anything, guests can't see anything, therefore no way to show them only the first 20 topics.

Thus, some part of the forum must be visible to guests, which is how search engines appear as far as permissions are concerned.

Kindred

and evidence as well as personal inclination suggests that requiring people to register in order to read content by teasing them with titles only or only 20 reads....   is a BAD way to do things and usually results in people LEAVING the site and not returning.

this is why SMF, by default, never even SHOWS any action which you do not have the permissions to complete.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

billy yellow

Quote from: Kindred on March 08, 2019, 02:55:35 PM
and evidence as well as personal inclination suggests that requiring people to register in order to read content by teasing them with titles only or only 20 reads....   is a BAD way to do things and usually results in people LEAVING the site and not returning.

this is why SMF, by default, never even SHOWS any action which you do not have the permissions to complete.

I disagree. If you have board and they are interested in the material they aren't going to leave just because they have to do a simple thing like sign-up to view the board before the first 20 topics. Wouldn't your theory also apply to people that arrive at a board and the very first thing they have to do is sign-up before they can view anything on it?

Arantor

We're just going on what we've seen people do over the last decade. People also usually take the path of least resistance which very often is "go back to Google and search again".

Kindred

You can disagree all you want Billy....    but you'd still be just as wrong.

I've been using forums since before there was an internet.... and I do know what I am talking about through experience.

...  and yes, in most sites which tease a title and then require you to register to read the actual post?   Yup, people trigger that forced registration and then leave, and skip the site in future google searches. Unless your site is the ONLY place on the web to find the information, you have no leverage.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: billy yellow on March 08, 2019, 11:21:00 PM

I disagree. If you have board and they are interested in the material they aren't going to leave just because they have to do a simple thing like sign-up to view the board before the first 20 topics. Wouldn't your theory also apply to people that arrive at a board and the very first thing they have to do is sign-up before they can view anything on it?

I am agree with you mate, I am blogging professionally and nowadays I do not use SMF as community for lurkers, but as content sharing platform and extension of my Blog.
I am the king, I am writing the valuable content , search engines love me,  I have set  five threads max limit for guests.
Google and many more search engines they are all day long in my Blog and forum.

You are getting too much misinformation from others, possibly they do it on purpose because some one else prior them, had the good idea and made the mod and NOW HE worth the credit.

SEARCH ENGINES DOES NOT USE COOKIES .....   THEY CAN NOT BE LIMITED BY SUCH A MOD.     ;)

I am an electrician, if you need help ask me instead   ;D

Arantor

Firstly, Google has used cookies for well over a decade. Secondly even if Google dropped cookies, SMF has counter measures to put the cookies in anyway. (That's why all the URLs have that PHPSESSID thing in them.)

But sure, trust Kiriakos GR over someone who has been in the SMF development team.

Kindred

in short....  Kiriakos, you are incorrect and we did not give him misinformation.
Слaва
Украинi

Kathryn_

I run a free forum and it is a lot of work but I wish to remain free. Reading should be free..sometimes I have lurking guests.I also use stop forum spam so which assures me they can't get on if offenders..I would not lock it up for view google will mark you no index , and I believe you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink. Guests will either sign up or not   

Advertisement: