News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

mod_security problem?

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, March 09, 2019, 04:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb61

One correction....

The simple BBC setting is different....
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sir Osis of Liver

I'll try that.  Looks like there are two different problems.  On GoDaddy, just did clean install, clean db, members see each other, chat windows open, messages don't post.  This was what I originally started with.  On my server, did clean install, clean db, works.  I've installed all the other mods on my working test install, didn't affect chat.  Too tired to do much more tonight, can't see.  Thanks for your help.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: shawnb61 on March 14, 2019, 01:42:26 AM
One correction....

The simple BBC setting is different....

I copied all chat settings from working table to non-working table so they're the same, didn't help.  Glitch could be almost anywhere in db if it's other than chat settings.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: shawnb61 on March 14, 2019, 01:14:10 AM
Im phpmyadmin, go to the smf_2sichat table.   If there isn't a default value for the 'inactive' column, set one.  NULL works. 

Goddam, that seems to have worked on GD server.  Can't set it back to 'none' to reproduce glitch (pma is throwing mysql error), but messages are posting.  Will try it on GD prod forum tomorrow.  That's a mysql bug, isn't it, but usually logs an error.  Maybe GD upped mysql version, that may have caused chat to stop working.  Will get back to it tomorrow.  Thanks again.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

I believe there are 3 different issues here...

1)  Newer, stricter, mysql doesn't like columns w/o defaults.  That's an SA Chat issue, it should provide a default.  Wasn't a problem on older environments.

2)  Error logging issue.  One of the hooks is getting called quite early, and if there is an issue, our mysql code cannot report it properly.  Pretty sure this is a problem with SMF.  Only exhibits when there are db-level errors, like #1 above.

3)  IE-only issue.  I still suspect this is due to IE not liking the BBC setting. 

I'll test a bit more, & if confirmed, post findings in SA Chat thread.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Sir Osis of Liver

Just getting back to this.  Will have to see what I have from last night, was working on multiple installs on different servers with different databases, it was late.  I'll try to replicate the glitch by dropping the chat tables and reinstalling mod.  It seems to fail differently in different environments.  GD server is running MySQL 5.6.39 in Apache, my server runs MariaDB 10.0.16 in LiteSpeed.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Replicated no-post problem, setting 'inactive' to Null fixes it.  Installed mod on GD production forum, made fix, works fine in FF65, still have login problem in IE11.  What could make things worse?  While I'm viewing chat in FF, another admin sees it's working, posts a message, asked him which browser he's using (wait for it):
IE11.

Problem is in smf_settings, but it's not any of the 2sichat settings, and it only seems to affect my browser.

- R. Waters

shawnb61

I cannot replicate the IE issue, IE works fine for me.  I had my suspicions on the BBC settings, but no, when enabled, BBC works fine in IE. 

I suspect your IE issue is local & not settings related (or it would have failed for the other admin, too).  My initial suspicion is JQuery support & versions...   IE is very picky there, & SA Chat uses JQuery. 

Note that Mysql got more strict by default with 5.7...   Older versions can be configured to be more strict, & newer versions can be configured to be looser.  So it may not just be a mysql version, but a mysql setting affecting the behavior. 

But either way, SA Chat should either provide a value or set a default value when storing messages.  Providing a default is a valid solution. 

Sir Osis of Liver

IE works on test forum on same server running same mods, until I import smf_settings from prod forum, that causes login problem.  It's not a 2sichat setting, it's something else.  Will have another go tomorrow.  Left chat mod running on prod forum, hope to get some feedback from members.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: