Any way to change the number of views of every post displayed on board index?

Started by billy yellow, March 09, 2019, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy yellow

Any way to change the number of views of each and every post displayed on the board index? If so, can you make the explanation detailed and step-by-step? I came across one MOD that says how to do it, but the instructions are so vague I can't understand what exactly the steps are to do it. Thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: billy yellow on March 09, 2019, 04:38:38 PM
Any way to change the number of views of each and every post displayed on the board index? If so, can you make the explanation detailed and step-by-step? I came across one MOD that says how to do it, but the instructions are so vague I can't understand what exactly the steps are to do it. Thanks.

When you say post, you mean topics right? Because posts do not have views.

Anyways, there is a mod that does that.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3676

You can also increase the views field value in the topics table in the database for that. But using the mod would be better imho.

Arantor

And it still looks very fake, and people can spot it a mile off.

Though if you're restricting everything to members only, it'll be even more obvious that you're lying to them.

billy yellow

Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2019, 05:39:05 PM

Though if you're restricting everything to members only, it'll be even more obvious that you're lying to them.

Buddy, you post a "reply" on every thread of mine instead of posting a constructive answer on how to achieve the task I'm looking for. Is this all you do in life? Is that how you have achieved 70,000 posts on here by just answering every question with garbage?

Kindred

He did not answer with garbage.

he was exactly on point.
Faking data is a BAD (VERY BAD) way to treat your users -- and most of them will see through it, if they care...  and if they don't care, then the original data would not have bothered them either.

(and no. Arantor got 70,000+ posts by posting helpful information. Just because you don't LIKE what is being said does not make it any less true.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

billy yellow

Quote from: Kindred on March 09, 2019, 09:09:31 PM
He did not answer with garbage.

he was exactly on point.
Faking data is a BAD (VERY BAD) way to treat your users -- and most of them will see through it, if they care...  and if they don't care, then the original data would not have bothered them either.

(and no. Arantor got 70,000+ posts by posting helpful information. Just because you don't LIKE what is being said does not make it any less true.)

No! Your answer here, and his, does NOT help me in any way to achieve the task or Mod I want implemented. Your "answers" are nothing more than your personal opinions on how I should run my board. I could care less what your feelings are about how I'm setting up my board so please refrain from commenting unless you have a credible solution to doing what I want done with my board? OK?

Kindred

Not OK.

You asked a question.
Even aside from "telling an admin how to do it" -- part of my job as support here is also "telling a admin when doing that would be a bad idea, and why"

And, when certain users post answers (that includes the team and many of the former team), it is more than just opinion. It is knowledge based on experience.

I'll say it once again...
Just because you don't LIKE what is being said does not make it any less true.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

The original question on if this can be done has been answered with both the tools to achieve it, and valid advice to not try it.
I'm marking this topic solved.

For future reference, we try to help new sites in any way we can - and that includes giving out advice, when we believe an admin may be doing something that can be harmful, counter productive, dangerous, illegal etc.

In this case, the point is that statistics do nothing to anyone if they can't be trusted, and very high statistics with little actual user activity or content can even make you look like the mayor of ghost town and scare away legit users. With good content, the statistics will grow organically over time - and patience is a virtue worth actual money when starting a new website.

Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: billy yellow on March 09, 2019, 08:47:25 PM
Quote from: Arantor on March 09, 2019, 05:39:05 PM

Buddy, you post a "reply" on every thread of mine instead of posting a constructive answer on how to achieve the task I'm looking for. Is this all you do in life? Is that how you have achieved 70,000 posts on here by just answering every question with garbage?

If it is someone who is posting garbage it is you. You need to adjust your attitude. Personally I am done with trying to help you and I have a feeling that many other people are too.

billy yellow

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 10, 2019, 03:17:18 AM
The original question on if this can be done has been answered with both the tools to achieve it, and valid advice to not try it.
I'm marking this topic solved.

For future reference, we try to help new sites in any way we can - and that includes giving out advice, when we believe an admin may be doing something that can be harmful, counter productive, dangerous, illegal etc.

In this case, the point is that statistics do nothing to anyone if they can't be trusted, and very high statistics with little actual user activity or content can even make you look like the mayor of ghost town and scare away legit users. With good content, the statistics will grow organically over time - and patience is a virtue worth actual money when starting a new website.

I solved it a couple daze ago. All I need to do it go into my websites server database and change whatever thread count I wish.

Kindred

Which is - as we have said - dishonest -- and it will be noticed.

Additionally, I should note that changing values directly in the database is not recommended, because, quite often, the column is related to another column/table and a direct change may screw up things that you don't even notice right now.
Слaва
Украинi

drewactual

just another off point suggestion:  since you're starting out, it is FAR better- if you're going to cloak anything- to cloak the lack of views by commenting out that code rather than offer something easily disregarded.

the thing about a lie and a liar is not only do you have to question everything they tell you from the point of discovering a lie, but you have to review anything they've ever told you and hope you didn't take action on their advice.  credibility can't be given, it has to be earned- and entering a relationship built on known untruth is simply not going to work.

if you simply comment out the code, you can return and un-comment it once you have suitable responses and views.

Steve

Due to the attitude problem and lack of respect from the original poster, I'm locking this.

@ billy yellow - in future, I suggest that if you want help here, at least be courteous.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: