News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Mod site policy

Started by Arantor, March 11, 2019, 04:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

I've seen a bunch of debates this way and that on the subject, so I'd like to clarify one thing.

If someone posts a mod to the mod site, is support a requirement, expected or not?

Case in point: LevGal needs some fixes, and I'm happy to sit and do the fixes at this point but I don't want necessarily to have the hassle of actually doing proper support; I have neither the time nor the interest. But I'm happy to do them and post them somewhere, just want to know if I should just tag on the end of the topic for it or actually post to the mod site when I'm done.

Illori

if you also have a paid mod, you should not direct the users of the free mod to the paid mod to get their issues fixed.
it is nice if you do provide support for your free mods.

Arantor

I guess you didn't see the part where I made Levgal free previously and was prepared to make all updates free too, but that alone tells me everything I need to know about publishing mods here.

Illori

that is covered under the section part, where providing support is nice.

Arantor

If I were making paid mods, I wouldn't have said anything because I'm very clear about how paid mods work, and I'd have been doing way more publicising about it (e.g. signature etc.) but all I'm getting from this topic is a general sense of disengagement and nothing to actually incentivise me to spend any time on anything for anyone.

When trying to re-engage an ecosystem, being abrupt and dismissive of the people who are trying to do anything about it just makes them... well... not bother.

Sorry I asked, really, just reminds me why I already pulled all my free mods before now.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sorry to break the lock, but just wanted to point out that IMO "it is nice if you do provide support for your free mods" basically means that while we do ask mod authors to be prepared to provide some support, it's not a strict requirement on the long run - as you can see, there are many mods available with little to no support, or little to no need for it either.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

I'm going to break the lock as well for further clarification.

No, Support is not "required". It is desired.

If a mod goes without support for too long, it may be archived --   but a large number of mods which are still available have authors who have not logged in (or at least not provided support) in years. The community who use the mod try to be helpful and more knowledgeable people usually do chime in to help the newbies who have questions.

so, yes - please do put levgal (and your other free mods) back on the site -- even with the understanding that tyou won't be providing regular (if any) support and there will be no official updates...  I think that many people did find them useful. (hell, I even  paid you for LevGal because I thought it was worth it)

actually....  I'm going to remove the lock. I don't think the question is inappropriate or getting out of hand.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Suki

I'll chime in too.

I have all my mods provided for free, either here or in my github account, I barely give support for them and when I do its because I want it to do so or because theres a legitimate bug that needs to be addressed and even on those cases I do it when I have the time to.

There was a time when it did bother me the "I want it all for free by yesterday and you have to work for me for free when I request it!"  type of thing that comes with offering free stuff but I since then learn to just not be bother with that stuff. Also learn that selectively choosing what to read around here helps a lot with that kind of stuff.

Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Biology Forums

Does LevGal have a download link anywhere? I want to give it go!

Arantor

Look in Chit Chat for a topic entitled "There might be cake", it's on the last page or second to last page.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Arantor on March 12, 2019, 01:58:43 PM
Look in Chit Chat for a topic entitled "There might be cake", it's on the last page or second to last page.

Thank you!

Advertisement: