Favicon not working

Started by uncleusta, March 12, 2019, 06:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncleusta

Hi,

I'm having issues with a fresh install of SMF 2.0.15. I've installed it through my host's Softaculous (A2 Hosting).

I've read the favicon section of the manual as well as the thread on the forum from a few years ago but it's just not working for me.

The favicon.ico I am using is the right size (16x16, though I've also tried 32x32). I've uploaded it to the /forum directory of my site as per the instructions.

I've refresh the browser's cache (I've also deleted the favicon cache in the Chrome browser manually/in the AppData directory), waited a few days, tried it on multiple devices and browsers (Windows/Chrome/IE, Android).

For what it's worth, the default favicon of the forum isn't showing either.

Any ideas what else I can do?

Thank you.

Arantor

Putting it in /forum/ doesn't usually trigger anything; browsers by default go to domain.com/favicon.ico unless told in the code of a given webpage not to. (And SMF's code doesn't tell it otherwise IIRC)

uncleusta

So how do I go about solving the issue? Is a piece of coding necessary?

Edit: I should add that I am using the same favicon.ico for the main site and the /forum, if it makes a difference.

Arantor

No coding is necessary. You just put the file in the right place and wait for browsers to start using it.

Specifically, you put it in the top level folder of the site, named favicon.ico (and it needs to be an actual ico file, just having a PNG renamed isn't going to work) alongside the rest of the files of the main site and it should just work.

uncleusta

zakallin69

Quote from: Arantor on March 12, 2019, 06:46:20 PM
No coding is necessary. You just put the file in the right place and wait for browsers to start using it.

Specifically, you put it in the top level folder of the site, named favicon.ico (and it needs to be an actual ico file, just having a PNG renamed isn't going to work) alongside the rest of the files of the main site and it should just work.

Same issue here, favicon.ico in root folder but doesn't show in browsers.

Arantor

You put it in the root folder of the account, not the root folder of the website. Put it in public_html instead.

zakallin69

Quote from: Arantor on March 22, 2019, 06:50:56 AM
You put it in the root folder of the account, not the root folder of the website. Put it in public_html instead.

Thanks Arantor, don't know what i was thinking......too little sleep i guess  :)

Advertisement: