Shoutbox/Chatbox recommendations?

Started by uncleusta, March 12, 2019, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncleusta

Hi,

I would like to add a simple but functional shoutbox (or chatbox/chatroom, whatever the term is) to my forum.

At the moment, my forum is accessed by hxxp:mysite.com/forum [nonactive] and it leads to the index page, like you would expect. I would like to place the shoutbox/chatbox above the board categories for easy and immediate access so that it's always visible no matter what page the visitor is on.

Is this possible using a mod/plugin or some other way? I saw a few mods such as nchat and SMFPacks Shoutbox but I wanted to ask for clarification from someone more experienced. I would like something that doesn't bog down the forum but is still functional and must be free.

I am using SMF 2.0.15.

Thank you.

Edit: Any recommendations on a shoutbox/chatroom? I've installed and tested SMF Pack's shoutbox but it is not to my liking.

landyvlad

Use TinyPortal.
It has a shoutbox function, and with all the other styling and layout features available you'll be able to have your shoutbox in almost any position on any pages that you like !

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Steve

Using a portal seems to be a bit of an overkill if one only wants a shoutbox imo ... don't get me wrong, landy's suggestion is a good one if you want to expand your forum's capabilities. :)

I'm curious as to what you dislike about the SMFPacks Shoutbox? It's the one I use and it does everything I could possibly want in a shoutbox.
DO NOT pm me for support!

uncleusta

Thank you for the replies.

The free edition of SMFPacks Shoutbox is limited in its functions and I am not looking to pay $20 for the paid version. Maybe sometime in the future but not at the moment.

After trying a few other mods, I've settled for SimplePortal's Shoutbox feature for now. While I had to mess around a bit to set it up (disable the portal, panels, etc), I find it good enough for now. I like the notice/announcement/header feature of the Shoutbox as well as the additional functions (such as sounds) it has once the plugin/mod written by the author is installed. The automatic 2 second anti-spam feature is also good. One feature I truly wish it had is the ability for guests to be able to send messages, however.

And it doesn't bog down the forum it seems, which is also important.

SimplePortal's Shoutbox will have to do for now, I suppose. If someone could write a standalone Shoutbox with anti-spam, guest permission and sounds, it would be great as the choices for 2.0.15 are very limited.

landyvlad

Quote from: uncleusta on March 15, 2019, 10:06:30 PM
If someone could write a standalone Shoutbox with anti-spam, guest permission and sounds, it would be great as the choices for 2.0.15 are very limited.
What, for free?
So you don't want to pay for the existing SMF hacks shoutbox; but you want someone to write one that does what you want for free?

Surely you can't be serious?

Also people writing new mods are much more likely to be doing so for SMF 2.1
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Steve

As landyvlad so bluntly said (he must be taking lessons from Kindred lol ... just kidding guys!), it''s highly unlikely you'll get anyone to create what you want for free. And as 2.1 is rapidly moving along, mod and theme creators are spending most of their time creating products for that version.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: