Permission dramas

Started by landyvlad, March 13, 2019, 03:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

landyvlad

On my forum I have numerous boards but by way of example under category 'Picture and Video Showcase' I have boards

Videos by Drone
Photos by Drone
Panos by drone
etc

ONLY the photos by drone is visible to regular members. As admin I can naturally see ALL of them.

Permissions appear to be set identical - the 'regular members' checkbox is ticked.

I'm not using deny permissions and not using post count based groups permissions.

I did try activating the latter, but given the attributes are all inherited form 'regular member' anyway it of course made no difference.

I have a few boards that I specifically wanted to hide, which I did by accessing board permissions and  under "allowed groups" where for those boards I specifically WANTED to hide, only global mod is checked (not regular members).

So I rechecked all the boards I'm having problems with and they all DO have regular members ticked.

Help?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

SychO

I just did some testing and it appears this is a bug
logged on github https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/5514
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

landyvlad

Well that's super frustrating.... I've invited people to my new forum and managed to upset them already LOL

Is there a work around?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

SychO

yea, you can either apply the fix I posted here: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/5515/files
or you can use post based membergroups to allow access to boards
Checkout My Themes:
-

landyvlad

Might sound silly but don't the PBMG just inherit permissions from the default profile?
That also seems a painful workaround for future issues, I'd rather make a code change :)

Would you be kind enough to put here in code tags, like
(find) ...
(add after)...  or
(replace with) ...

as I'm unsure exactly what to do with that GH info. Unless its as simple as deleting the red line and replacing it with the green line?

SychO

Quote from: landyvlad on March 13, 2019, 06:59:12 AM
Might sound silly but don't the PBMG just inherit permissions from the default profile?

It does inherit, but the issue is that when you check the box for Regular Membergroups and save, it doesn't actually save the data for Regular Members, that's why it doesn't take effect.

Quote from: landyvlad on March 13, 2019, 06:59:12 AM
as I'm unsure exactly what to do with that GH info. Unless its as simple as deleting the red line and replacing it with the green line?

exactly

Sources/Subs-Boards.php

Find
if (!empty($boardUpdateParameters['deny_groups']))
Replace with
if (!empty($boardOptions['deny_groups']))

Find
if (!empty($boardUpdateParameters['member_groups']))
Replace with
if (!empty($boardOptions['access_groups']))
Checkout My Themes:
-

landyvlad

Bad news I did those edits and saved it. Opened it again to double check it had been saved.
Still no good I'm afraid.

Arantor

Note that actual permissions are different and completely separate from board access and inheritance of permissions does not apply to board access.

landyvlad

Umm so what does that mean in relation to access - should that pull request info (as above) not have fixed the access problem?

landyvlad

Update: having found that issue, I now have to go into the affected boards, uncheck and then recheck the boxes for groups allowed access, click modify, and it WORKS !!!

Thanks

Arantor

Quote from: landyvlad on March 13, 2019, 07:15:35 AM
Umm so what does that mean in relation to access - should that pull request info (as above) not have fixed the access problem?

It means that the above pull request is right and that you're conflating two unrelated things ;)

SychO

yea you have to go back and re-save the board options after making the file edits

anyway, thanks for the report.
Checkout My Themes:
-

woolly bugger

yeah, this caused some "uncomfortable" moments on my board when the upgrade revealed a secret board to general members, I had to scramble to change permissions, but also had to admit "hurt" members to the secret board....

Kindred

and, yet another reason to not use beta and RC releases on production sites. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Kindred on March 13, 2019, 12:28:40 PM
Well, admittedly, the release announcement for RC1 stated:

QuoteThe term "Release Candidate" means that the developers believe this version of the software is reliable enough to be installed and used on production websites.

Kindred

yeah, me and the leads will have to disagree on that point. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

I would agree mixed messages. I wait for final for your main sites. Since you have to redo your mods/theme changes that you make on your site.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

Or, more simply, beliefs can be wrong...

landyvlad

Well I started a brand new site and as RC1 was released I elected to use it.

The existing site (2.0.15) will remain so until 2.1 final is released AND all the mods I use are compatible (or a suitable alternative is).

So I have a foot on both camps !

Quote from: SychO on March 13, 2019, 07:24:39 AM
yea you have to go back and re-save the board options after making the file edits
anyway, thanks for the report.

Cool, just letting you know in case you didn't realise that. But moreso to make it clear to others who may view this thread in future as to what's required to 'fix' the issue.

Thank YOU for the prompt fix :)

Quote from: Arantor on March 13, 2019, 07:23:42 AM
Quote from: landyvlad on March 13, 2019, 07:15:35 AM
It means that the above pull request is right and that you're conflating two unrelated things ;)

Yeah my fault, a terminology issue.  But all sorted now. Cheers.

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: TurtleKicker on March 13, 2019, 02:05:21 PM
Quote from: Kindred on March 13, 2019, 12:28:40 PM
Well, admittedly, the release announcement for RC1 stated:

QuoteThe term "Release Candidate" means that the developers believe this version of the software is reliable enough to be installed and used on production websites.

Actually, the release announcement stated:
The term "Release Candidate" means that the developers believe this version of the software is reliable enough to be installed and used on production websites. Nevertheless, you should still expect to encounter minor bugs in SMF 2.1 RC1. We encourage you to report any bugs you find.
You can and should expect bugs.

Quote from: Arantor on March 13, 2019, 03:57:46 PM
Or, more simply, beliefs can be wrong...
...which is exactly why that particular word was chosen, yes. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: