No Mails from www.simplemachines.org

Started by Warlock666, January 30, 2019, 07:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warlock666

Hi @all,

by accident I found out, that the SMTP Server that sends Mails for www.simplemachines.org is not properly configured.
In the SMTP Dialog it claims to be "httpd3.localdomain" - A hostname that can't apparantly be resolved. Even worse - the reverse record for its IP adress 66.71.247.155, which is fw01.atl.forceitx.net, can't be resolved, too.
Checking the Hostname in the HELO dialog against the reverse DNS record is a pretty basic method to avoid spam.

So I guess I'm not the only one who does not receice any mails from www.simplemachines.org anymore.

Attached you will find an example log

Jan 30 12:53:16 lemmy postfix/smtpd[32502]: warning: hostname fw01.atl.forceitx.net does not resolve to address 66.71.247.155: Temporary failure in name resolution
Jan 30 12:53:16 lemmy postfix/smtpd[32502]: connect from unknown[66.71.247.155]
Jan 30 12:53:16 lemmy postfix/smtpd[32502]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[66.71.247.155]: 450 4.7.1 <httpd3.localdomain>: Helo command rejected: Host not found; from=<[email protected]> to=<[email protected]> proto=ESMTP helo=<httpd3.localdomain>
Jan 30 12:53:16 lemmy postfix/smtpd[32502]: disconnect from unknown[66.71.247.155] ehlo=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 data=0/1 rset=1 quit=1 commands=4/6

Could you please forward this to your Mailadmin ?
In case there are any questions left I'd be glad to help you.

Bye !

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Thank you, I've moved this to a better board.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Warlock666

Thanks you !

"Site Comments, Issues and Concerns" fits much better, indeed. Looks like I oversaw this - Sorry for that !

LiroyvH

Thanks for your report.
This is a known-issue that comes and goes when we have to switch the delivery method and the mismatching domains and IP's is a result of the the way the stack functions internally. It's essentially a failover method that then goes through a layer of network translation and unfortunately sometimes may run in that configuration for an extended period of time.

A permanent fix will be implemented and is on the to-do list.
Fortunately a new server that can relieve the problem has recently arrived in the datacenter, just waiting on some parts. :) I'll see if I can re-route it without issues in the meantime.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Warlock666

Cool, I'm glad that this issue is already known and that there are already plans to fix this.
Thanks a lot for your feedback  :)

LiroyvH

Hello,

This problem should be resolved for you now, even when in the backup mode the servers will now send email with valid hostname, PTR and SPF records.
I had missed you said the PTR was mismatching, that turned out to be an error upstream in the datacenter; I did change that a while ago, but the change never made it to RL.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

HeroHog

I bet this is what bit me when I was trying to register initally.
Thanks for fixing it!
Meh...

Advertisement: