Email validation issue on THIS SMF site...

Started by Hero-Hog, March 14, 2019, 02:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hero-Hog

No sure where to post this but I was having issues getting my validation Email from https://www.simplemachines.org/ when registering here. On my 3rd attempt, I was able to get it to work using a 3rd email address. ALL 3 of the addresses used are valid, working addresses so I don't know why only one worked.

The addresses used were 2 from hxxp:herohog.com [nonactive] and one from hxxp:gmail.com [nonactive]

The hxxp:herohog.com [nonactive] addresses weren't caught in any email filter or set to be rejected.

The User IDs used were "HeroHog", "Hero_Hog", and the one that the email worked on was "Hero-Hog". Understand, this wasn't a user ID issue but an email validation issue in that I never received the validation email message.

Can you give any advise on why I had these issues and can you kill off any accounts made using *@herohog.com please? hxxp:herohog.com [nonactive] is my personal domain and email server so any logins using that domain solely belong to me. If you email those addresses I can pretty much guarantee that I will get it and respond, it just doesn't like something about the registration procedure that I can't put my finger on.

Thanks
Speedy "HeroHog" Mercer

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Noted, I've shared this for the site team to look at. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

LiroyvH

Did you review your maillog? It must be getting rejected there somewhere down the line.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Illori

we asked you a question, you have yet to answer it. we cannot provide an answer to you without you doing some work first.

Hero-Hog

Ok, NOW I need Hero-Hog and the Hero_Hog accounts deleted and I will keep the HeroHog account, THANKS!

HeroHog

Quote from: Illori on March 29, 2019, 04:01:05 PM
we asked you a question, you have yet to answer it. we cannot provide an answer to you without you doing some work first.

Terribly sorry, these responses weren't showing up for me for some reason, I JUST saw them! I have thoroughly checked my mail server and mail application an all are configured to allow ALL mail in unless infected. If it is SPAM, it is put in a SPAM folder and I check ALL the messages in there before deleting them to be sure I don't miss anything. I Whitelisted simplemachines.org just to be safe.
NOTE: I DID get the last few messages y'all sent so maybe it's cleared up now?

The account I am on now is the one I would like to keep please. The other two can be deleted.

Thanks again for looking into this and I'm sorry I missed your responses.
Meh...

HeroHog

I just figured out why I wasn't seeing the replies. Basically, It's because I was a dumb@$$ and was looking at MY posts and not the whole thread!

SORRY!
Meh...

LiroyvH

NOTE: I DID get the last few messages y'all sent so maybe it's cleared up no

Then your mailserver did filter them out.
We made a change yesterday to the way mail is handled to fix a problem with rDNS/SPF mismatches occurring. If you're getting emails now, it means your mailserver completely rejected/blackholed the emails based on those conditions - instead of putting it in your spambox.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

HeroHog

Well, that sux! I have it configured to let them pass and there are no available settings for me to adjust that I can "open up." I am using Thunderbird Mailer and I have also used Hoard on my site server to back check things. My mail server is hosted on Omnis.com [nofollow]. I will run through all the settings again to see what I can find. It USED to have server-side filtering but that is gone from the admin controls now.
Meh...

HeroHog

Nothing on the email server side that I can manage other than a whitelist, which y'all have been added to, and a blacklist which simplemachines.org is NOT on. There is only a reject list for addresses within my domain and nothing there will interfere with this.
Meh...

HeroHog

Just checked my Thunderbird settings and found NO issues. NOTHING is set to auto delete or reject. ALL mail marked as Junk goes into my JUNK folder and is NOT marked as Unread so I can find nothing that I have any control over on either my mail server (mail.omnis.com) or mailer app (Mozilla Thunderbird) that would be blocking those messages. I Whitelisted y'all so MAYBE this will be the end of this issue, I hope.

Thanks again for looking into my issues.
Meh...

Advertisement: