Applying Settings Take Ages

Started by coolindark, March 14, 2019, 10:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolindark

Hello everyone,

I'm working on my new forum (Link : https://lezzet.li [nofollow] )
The problem is if i make some changes in admin board (for example SMTP settings), the GUI acts like nothing changed and my written information turned as before. Also if i check the site; i see that my changes was not applied. However, after in 1-2 minutes my last changes applied by itself. I tried everything, even changed my server and moved the site but it's still same.

This forum has massive separated boards, can it be related with that? It looks like my entries are waiting in queue and then applied.
By the way, i can easily make changes with user panel, add/remove topics etc in lighting speed.

If you will help me how can i track the problem, i'm going to continue my investigation with your help.

Thanks!

Kindred

sounds like your host is running some sort of caching...

as for "massive separated boards"

no sure what you mean by separated.... but I have worked on forums with over a billion posts....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

In SMF out of the box, settings are cached for (I think) 90 seconds even on level 1 (and if it isn't 90 seconds, it's 60 seconds)

Also, a billion posts? The largest SMF I've seen got to around 90 million posts.

Gwenwyfar

That still feels to me like an odd default setting, since it looks like everything you did was not saved.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

coolindark

Quote from: Arantor on March 14, 2019, 10:31:14 AM
In SMF out of the box, settings are cached for (I think) 90 seconds even on level 1 (and if it isn't 90 seconds, it's 60 seconds)

Also, a billion posts? The largest SMF I've seen got to around 90 million posts.

That is interesting. I have an another SMF forum and changing settings takes in seconds. How can i check/change of it?

Arantor

That depends mostly how big your forum is. If it's big, you do not want to turn caching off since it will make everything else be much slower.

@Gwenwyfar, it is weird for sure. But caching is a voodoo subject anyway.

Gwenwyfar

Wouldn't it make more sense to be off by default though? If you don't need it, it is either annoying, confusing, or both. And if you only need it for big forums, you're starting off with it empty.

I still don't know whether that's what I did early on in my first forum, because it took me a while to realize it when I saw it in my test installs, I thought it was server caching.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

coolindark

Quote from: Arantor on March 14, 2019, 10:39:47 AM
That depends mostly how big your forum is. If it's big, you do not want to turn caching off since it will make everything else be much slower.

@Gwenwyfar, it is weird for sure. But caching is a voodoo subject anyway.

Thank you for your time and answer... It's pretty weird by the way; everything works fast except admin settings lol...

Arantor

@Gwenwyfar: That is, as ever, some good thinking and wisdom there. Let's do that for 2.1 fresh installs.

@coolindark: it's no mystery to me at all, SMF by default will store a copy of the settings for 90 seconds and use that instead of querying the database. But I don't want to encourage you to turn that off unless I know that your forum will keep working. You describe it as big, but what that is varies from person to person. Let me know how big your forum is (number of topics/posts/members) and I'll suggest whether I think it's a safe idea to remove caching.

coolindark

Quote from: Arantor on March 14, 2019, 10:46:32 AM
@Gwenwyfar: That is, as ever, some good thinking and wisdom there. Let's do that for 2.1 fresh installs.

@coolindark: it's no mystery to me at all, SMF by default will store a copy of the settings for 90 seconds and use that instead of querying the database. But I don't want to encourage you to turn that off unless I know that your forum will keep working. You describe it as big, but what that is varies from person to person. Let me know how big your forum is (number of topics/posts/members) and I'll suggest whether I think it's a safe idea to remove caching.

No no, i got your point; if it's a default feature I'm OK with that. I will not ruin the caching for my pleasure; stable system means everything. I was just worried if something wrong was going or not. So i got my answer. By the way, forum has around 90 boards and 900 sub-boards.

Thanks again.

Arantor

That didn't actually answer my question, but if you're happy to leave it, all is well.

Advertisement: