Major problem after switching to a new server

Started by Kjell H., March 15, 2019, 07:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kjell H.

I hope this is the correct board....

I just switched to a new server since the old one wouldn't handle new PHP upgrades.

All files and database were imported from the old one.

Looks like I might have done some bad research and prep before moving my SMF 1.1.21 forum to a server running PHP 7.0.30.

Forum shows blank pages. I've  tried running repair_settings.php but no luck. Just a blank page.

So I decided to run an upgrade to SMF to 2.0.15 (which I should have done a long time ago), but when running the upgrade I am notified that crucial files are missing.

Resumed back to an upgrade of 1.1.21, but no luck there and it shows blank pages.

My provider informed me that this might have to do with the following error in the log:

Fri Mar 15 01:21:48.006053 2019] [fcgid:warn] [pid 8951] [client xxxxxxxxxx:11520] mod_fcgid: stderr:   thrown in /var/www/clients/client4/web2/web/forumhall/index.php on line 41  (xxxxxxxxx replaces the IP address).

Any help is appreciated - willing to pay for support.

Sir Osis of Liver

You'll have to downgrade to 5.6 max to get the forum running and do the upgrade.  Should be an option for php version in cpanel.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kjell H.

So this is all related to the database.

Can we do the upgrade on another server with PHP 5.6 and the import it back to the server running php 7?

vbgamer45

Should be able to.
But i you should just grab the large upgrade package overwrite your SMF 1.1.x install with those files on the new server. Then run the upgrade.php  script
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

upgrade.php will not run on a 1.1.21 database in php 7 on some servers.  You either have to downgrade php version, or export to server running 5.6 max, upgrade, then import upgraded db to original server.  I've had to do this several times, mostly with GoDaddy forums.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kjell H.

Thank you.

I am now in the process of copying my 1.1.21 forum to a different server now and have imported the database. Want to make sure the forum is working before I do an upgrade.

Kjell H.

We were able to get 1.1.21 back up using a different server.

I have uploaded the 2.0.15 upgrade, but when running upgrade.php, I get the following error message:

The upgrader was unable to find some crucial files.Please make sure you uploaded all of the files included in the package, including the Themes, Sources, and other directories.

Kjell H.

Disregard my last post above. Ran repair settings and found some errors.

Upgrading now.

Kjell H.

After 3-4 hours of using the upgrade tool, the 1.1.21 forum is now running 2.0.15 on the temporary server.

Next step is to export and import the database to the new server.

Kjell H.

My forum is back up on the site and I need to give proper credit to smfhack.com for helping me restoring it. Their service and speed in solving this have been great and well worth the money spent.

The database had some major errors preventing me to use the existing backup after the upgrade. My team had not enough knowledge to fix this, but Jonathon over at smfhacks was a lifesaver.

vbgamer45

Glad I was able to help and get things going again! I am probably going to write a guide when I have time on how to deal phpmyadmin limits/incomplete exports then reimporting that database.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Advertisement: