News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

upgrade to 2.0.15 (from 1.1.21) blank page

Started by fcrf, March 16, 2019, 12:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcrf

Hello,

ISP's recent forced upgrade to php 7.1/7.2 made the forum url show an empty page (v 1.1.21).
Time had come to upgrade the forum to 2.0.15
After 3 days and many, many hours of trying to fix this, I'm asking for help.

So far:
- complete backups (offline and online) done via FTP;
- 2.0.15 unzipped and uploaded to forum directory (binary mode for attachments, avatars);
- setting file permissions to 777 (dir) and 666 (files) via FTP;
- backup data base with prefix "backup_"
- upgrade.php suggests editing the $boarddir and $sourcedir to new path (done);
- upgrade.php then goes throught the first 4 steps, upgrading files;
- after upgrade step 4 is done it asks to continue to step 5 (deleting uprade);
- clicking 'continue' shows an empty page;
- minutes later, reloading same url then shows same page but with upgrade step 5 bold/highlighted;
- clicking continue still takes to empty page.

Thinking that step 5 'deleting upgrade' could mean that the upgrade_files need to be deleted manually via FTP, did'nt help.

I did this procedure several times.

Symptoms:

- the first time I did the upgrade steps, it took some time to replace all the files; later, the upgrade steps went faster, probably just checking the files already in place.

- while upgrading, the maintenance message appears on the forum-url - after clicking to continue to uprade step 5, the message disappears. Editing settings.php to maintenance "2" makes the message reappear.

- repair_settings.php fixes 2 or 3 old paths to the sourcedir within the themes etc., but nothing else happens.

- trying to install the 'SMF2.0.X-enablePHP7.2Compat_v1.3.zip' package isn't obvious to me, as the forum and the package manager is not accessible.

- setting PHP to 5.6 at ISP doesn't help.

Questions:

- do I have to create a new database on the server anyway and direct the forum to it?
- can I create a 2.0.15 version from scratch in a new directory and import the old forum structure with the attachments?
- what's the best way?

Do I miss something?

Thank you for any help.

Greg

vbgamer45

Check your apache error log or your error_log file in the root directory of your forum if it exists may give some clues.
SMF 2.0.x should work fine on PHP 5.6 up to PHP 7,1

I have not seen this step before
upgrade.php suggests editing the $boarddir and $sourcedir to new path (done);
Do you have a custom setup? Did you install files in the same directory as your original forum?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

fcrf

Hi,

thx for the immediate response!

There is no error log file in the forum directory.
No, I don't have a custom setup.

I tried the upgrade procedure again with PHP 7.2 just before my first posting here.
Changed it to 7.1 now to repeat the procedure (although I probably have tried this before).

I will copy the old files back to the forum directory, so it will generate the suggestion for changing the boarddir, sourcedir (and cachedir).
I'll post a screenshot.

Will take an hour or so...

All the best,
Greg

P.S.:

I just noticed that the permissions set for the forum directories do not impact the files in it.
Except for the files in the forum root directory (changed manually), files in sub-directories are in writing permission for the owner (644), not writable or executable for public or group
Is this fine, or do I have to change permissions for all files in all directories?

vbgamer45

In cpanel do you have an apache error log section if so check that area for any clues.
Permissions mainly just need to be set for the owner of files for them to execute.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

fcrf

sorry, in which cpanel (control panel?)
can't find anything relating to apache in phpmyadmin

attach: screenshot upgrade.php suggestion for boarddir sourcesdir cachedir path change

vbgamer45

Hmm download the repair settings tool from
https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?tools

Then upload to your root directory of your forum and use that tool to fix the paths.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

fcrf

ok, just did the repair_settings.php again
(it changed some paths according to the upgrade.php suggestion in screenshot before).

Maintenance message is then gone and, instead of getting a blank page, there's a http error 500.
(same result as when trying the repair_settings mentioned in my first post).

vbgamer45

Any logs?  Was the site in maintenance mode and you were able to access it before?

Do you have a link to your site that you can share?

Mainly I want to see if the right files are uploaded to correct places.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: fcrf on March 16, 2019, 03:01:06 PM
ok, just did the repair_settings.php again
(it changed some paths according to the upgrade.php suggestion in screenshot before).

Maintenance message is then gone and, instead of getting a blank page, there's a http error 500.
(same result as when trying the repair_settings mentioned in my first post).

That error indicates an issue with the server. What about the error log in your cpanel, is there anything logged in there?

What is your forum url btw?

vbgamer45

Site fixed.

Issues due to a mixture of old SMF 1.1.x and SMF 2.0.x files.
And a couple settings in the settings.php had to be changed such as $db_character_set

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

fcrf

I SEE THE FORUM INDEX PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOWWWWW, yooooppppppie, eureka, halleluja.

vbgamer45, I am speechless! I would hug you if I could reach you from Luxembourg.

I am a musician (the flat coated retreiver forum is my wife's).
If I can do anything for you or the SMF (audio editing, a jingle, or anything else, like sending you some LUXUS cds - hxxp:luxus.lu [nonactive]), just tell me.

Here is one of our latest songs/videos, if you like:

hxxp:www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgIHaF2326g [nonactive]

(the genre may vary completely from song to song)

an older song in english with many good revies would be:

hxxp:luxus.musicker.net/192/sunkensailor.mp3 [nonactive]

But anyway, thank you thank you thank you....so much

vbgamer45

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Advertisement: