News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Post as Another Member

Started by Sesquipedalian, March 16, 2019, 03:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesquipedalian

Link to the mod

Post As Another Member

A modification for Simple Machines Forum version 2.1 that adds the ability for a member to post as another member. Members with permission to do this can create new posts in the name of another member, and can change the attributed author of any post they can modify.

When a post is attributed to another member using this mod, the post will truly and fully belong to that other member in every sense.

Settings

Adds a "Post as another member" permission to the board permission profiles available in Administration Center ► Permissions ► Edit Profiles. The permission can be granted to any given membergroup in any given permission profile.

The permission is always enabled for administrators.

License

Post As Another Member is released under the MIT License. A full copy of this license is included in the package file.

Changelog

Version 1.7:
  • Added Greek translation

Version 1.6:
  • Fixes a bug where an existing topic's id_member_started was not updated when its first post was reattributed to a different author.

Version 1.5:
  • Added Italian translation

Version 1.4:
  • Fixes a bug where non-admins would never see the "Post As" field on the boardless posting page (i.e. "?action=post" as opposed to "?action=post;board=1"), even if they had the necessary permisson.

Version 1.3:
  • Added Dutch translation

Version 1.2:
  • Added Brazilian Portuguese translation
  • Added Russian translation

Version 1.1:
  • Added Latin Spanish translation

Version 1.0:
  • Initial release
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

-Rock Lee-

It seems pretty good, I'm going to try it on a test site that I have. And since we are leaving the translation to Latin Spanish!

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Sesquipedalian

Excellent! Thanks, Rock Lee. I'll add the translation to the package soon.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Bugo

Can you also include Russian translation?

landyvlad

Awesome mate - great mod !

I'm pretty sure this mods the post ID in the database? In which case I can make changes and then (if I wanted to ) uninstall and delete the mod and the changes I had made would remain. Yes?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

ORIONzitos

PT-BR translation \o  8)

Total of translations: 9
Total of translations: 10

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: landyvlad on March 19, 2019, 03:40:06 AM
Awesome mate - great mod !

I'm pretty sure this mods the post ID in the database? In which case I can make changes and then (if I wanted to ) uninstall and delete the mod and the changes I had made would remain. Yes?

It changes the values of id_member, poster_name, poster_email, etc., for a post.

Any changes made using this mod will remain in place after the mod is uninstalled, yes.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Bugo on March 19, 2019, 01:54:44 AM
Can you also include Russian translation?
Quote from: ORIONzitos on March 21, 2019, 09:54:15 AM
PT-BR translation \o  8)

Total of translations: 9

Thank you both. I've added your translations to version 1.2. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

landyvlad

Well I can report back that this is working flawlessly for me.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Sesquipedalian

I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Arantor

I wish I had your positivity, another classic new mod.

GigaWatt

This mod can also be used as an April fools joke :P :D.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: GigaWatt on March 27, 2019, 09:46:36 PM
This mod can also be used as an April fools joke :P :D.

I wouldn't recommend that. April Fool's jokes should be easily reversible and should not change any of the forum's real data. This mod makes real changes, so each and every change that you made as a "joke" would also need to be manually changed back afterwards. Moreover, in the meantime the posts really, actually would belong to whichever members that you reattributed them to, with all the implications that entails.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

GigaWatt

Quote from: Sesquipedalian on March 27, 2019, 11:17:20 PM
This mod makes real changes, so each and every change that you made as a "joke" would also need to be manually changed back afterwards. Moreover, in the meantime the posts really, actually would belong to whichever members that you reattributed them to, with all the implications that entails.

Yes, I know :). Of course, you have to be careful who you do things like this to ;)... maybe someone from the forum staff :D.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

@rjen

Good mod.

Leaving you the dutch translation...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Sesquipedalian

Thanks! I'll add in the next version. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

shadav

so if I created a post and then edited it, I would be able to change my name to someone else's? or is this only when you create a post?
For example, my case in point, I'm an admin on a 200K member group on fb.... trying to create a forum/website outside of fb for our use as I feel we've outgrown what all fb allows (not to mention it kills my ocd not being organized) and if I were to post some info from a member on the fb group to the forum and they later join, I could then transfer the post to their name?

sirfpsycho

Do you have this mode for the smf version 2.0.15 ?

Shambles

Quote from: sirfpsycho
Do you have this mode for the smf version 2.0.15 ?

There's already a 2.0.* mod available in the modifications section.

Sesquipedalian

I've just posted version 1.4 of this mod, which fixes a bug where the "Post As" field was not shown to non-admins with the permisson on the boardless posting page (i.e. "?action=post" rather than "?action=post;board=1").
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Advertisement: