how to add a banner to the forum. smf version 2.0.15

Started by MacGig, March 19, 2019, 07:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGig

using the curve theme, how could I ad an add banner to the top of the forum and link in a new window to a url? is this difficult? which file would I edit?

thanks in advance.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: MacGig on March 19, 2019, 07:45:08 PM
using the curve theme, how could I ad an add banner to the top of the forum and link in a new window to a url? is this difficult? which file would I edit?

thanks in advance.

It is pretty much easy. Can you post a screenshot of the area of where you would like to add the banner?

Kindred

Suggest you use the Ad manager mod. That not only lets you add a banner, but also opens the posibility of adding adverts or other banners in other location
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

As Kindred suggests or use a portal. Tinyportal is what I use and you can put ad placements pretty much anywhere.

delta5

Kindred, I have been wanting to ask about this too. If you use the ad mod or one of the portals with a responsive theme, what happens to the ads on a cellphone screen? Do they just disappear or get all scrunched up?

njtweb

Quote from: delta5 on March 20, 2019, 12:52:28 PM
Kindred, I have been wanting to ask about this too. If you use the ad mod or one of the portals with a responsive theme, what happens to the ads on a cellphone screen? Do they just disappear or get all scrunched up?

My traffic is almost exclusively handheld wireless users. Use responsive ads and everything works fine. I make about $2-$3 a day on my site.

MacGig

ad manager means editing lots of files. I doubt I will do that. do I have to edit files using the tinyportal?

njtweb

Nope, super simple. And those guys at Tinyportal are awesome with support. I've had a few sites over the past 7 years and they are always on point.

youthhockeyinfo.com

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

delta5

Quote from: njtweb on March 20, 2019, 07:42:29 PM
Nope, super simple. And those guys at Tinyportal are awesome with support. I've had a few sites over the past 7 years and they are always on point.

youthhockeyinfo.com

Do you happen to know of a responsive forum using Tiny Portal I could check out? I want to try it, but I just got my board fixed up from my last go around with some mods that didn't work lol

@rjen

You can see TP on responsive themes here: www.tinyportal.net and here: www.fjr-club.nl

Tinyportal allows the placement of blocks in a number of panels: Left, Right, Top, Upper, Front, Lower and Bottom..

The thing is that I am not sure what you mean with 'the top of the forum'? Is that under the menu or above?
If it is above the menu, that is not an area that TinyPortal can add blocks to: the Top panel is located directly under the menu...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Kindred

Quote from: MacGig on March 20, 2019, 05:39:58 PM
ad manager means editing lots of files. I doubt I will do that. do I have to edit files using the tinyportal?

Why does Ad Manager mean editing a lot of files?

Use the package manager to apply mods.  Most of the time, there are no manual edits needed, even when there are, it's usually only one or two files in which other mods have already made edits.

As for responsive design.... the ad manager (or portal) works within the theme that you choose. If that theme is responsive and the code that you add meets responsive standards (e.g. avoid tables) then it will display just fine.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

Quote from: delta5 on March 20, 2019, 09:31:02 PM
Quote from: njtweb on March 20, 2019, 07:42:29 PM

youthhockeyinfo.com

Do you happen to know of a responsive forum using Tiny Portal I could check out? I want to try it, but I just got my board fixed up from my last go around with some mods that didn't work lol

I posted you the link to my site

delta5

Thanks, I might be setting up a test forum to try that out.

njtweb

I do not have a custom theme. I am using default curve with the responsive curve mod and Tinyportal. Works like a charm and my small low traffic website makes about $50 a month through adsense.

Advertisement: