News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Keeping track of code changes - best method?

Started by landyvlad, March 19, 2019, 10:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Looking

I do the same as GL700Wing and also keep dated backups before major changes.

GL700Wing

Quote from: Looking on March 27, 2019, 05:34:00 AM
... also keep dated backups before major changes.
Ditto - plus I have a test forum with all the same Sources/Themes files where I stage and test *all* changes before making them on the production forum. 
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on March 27, 2019, 03:56:33 AM
Um, why not? A local repository sits on your computer...
And unless you're messing with attachments or avatars, most files are under a hundred kb, when you upload them to the forum server... Not that it even makes any difference compared to downloading backups or uploading packages to the forum... Even a full zip with all files doesn't go over some 5mb.

(Ps: My Internet has roughly the same rates...)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

landyvlad

OK maybe I misunderstood local repository to mean FULL back up.

Does it just mean ' a copy of files I've changed ' ?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You would probably want a full mirror of your files, but that wouldn't be much to download once.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

Quote from: landyvlad on March 28, 2019, 10:58:39 PM
OK maybe I misunderstood local repository to mean FULL back up.

Does it just mean ' a copy of files I've changed ' ?

No, it means a system designed to track every change made and let you leave yourself notes as to what changed and why.

landyvlad

and that's what Im getting at - how best to structure such a system ?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Gwenwyfar

A local repository is the same as a github repository (or whichever other git repositories out there), except it is only in your computer, and not on the internet.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

shawnb61

A 'repository' is all of the above.  A source code control system.  Repositories have a copy of the code as well as methods to regulate & track all of the changes.  More traditional source code control systems  (old school...) would have a 'checkout' function, like a library, to make sure folks' changes didn't conflict with each other; only one person was allowed to udpate a file at a time.  More modern source code controls systems (like Git) work at the 'commit' level - specific lines of code changed, "diffs" - which enable different folks to work on the same file concurrently (but have an added layer of complexity as a result for resolving the conflicts that will happen). 

Git is one of the more popular repositories in use today.  Using SMF 2.1 as an example, you have:
- a copy of all the current source code: 
         https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/tree/release-2.1/Sources
- a log of changes made: 
         https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/commits/release-2.1
- with each detailed "commit" having specific changes made with notes as to why: 
         https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/5545/files

Note that with Git, you do not have to use Github.com at all if you don't want to - you can have a local copy on your PC.  OR, you can have a private copy up on Github. 

Git is kinda complex, but extremely powerful.  Worth learning & using, IMO. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

vondes

Thanks all

GL700wing yep i agree with your method and that's great for individual code but I'd like to keep some master list so I easily know what files I've made manual edits to; as well.

Arantor & shawn Git repositories are well beyond me :)

skb yes but if the forum is down, so is that thread !

m4z

"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Advertisement: