News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

For Members no Admin Mail Button visible?

Started by sky23, March 21, 2019, 12:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sky23

Anybody checked this? If Admin logs in, the Admin Mail Button is visible, but for a regular Member the Admin Mail Button in his Profile is gone.
Settings are ok, not much to setup anyway

Illori

this is expected behavior in SMF 2.1 last I checked.

SychO

As far as I remember, every user can choose whether their email adresse will shown to other users or not, admins on the other hand can always see emails.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Illori

I believe that changed in SMF 2.1, the feature was removed completely.

SychO

Oh you're right, I never noticed, members can't see other email adresses period.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

sky23

Hmmm, over the years, more and more,...Freedom of Choices gone with the wind. For me? Really hard to understand!

Illori

if a user wants to share their email address they can send it to whoever they want. they don't need an inbuilt function to do it for them.

sky23

Wrong, absolutely wrong! A Admin should be in the position, to be reachable with this simple Button, if he wants to be reached this way! It is not the decision of the Developers to deny such a important feature! So many different purposes of the Boards..so many different usages!

By my knowing there is not one other Forum Software doing this, Illori...maybe the Vatican have one, no idea...

Arantor

You really like giving out your personal email address to potentially every member of the forum? Really? (Because that's what that button does.)

Never mind that it's potentially a GDPR problem to deal with, never mind that if a spammer gets onto your site, you're going to be shoved onto spam lists like nobody's business.

You know why no other forum software does it? Because 15 years ago when the function was added, spam wasn't nearly the same problem, and they have all removed it because it's a bad idea these days to have that function available.

I'm pretty certain it was my decision to remove it actually.

Sir Osis of Liver

Is there a contact link in 2.1?   There have been frequent posts here from forum members who are unable to login, or guests unable to register, who have no way of contacting an admin to resolve the problem.  I believe there's at least one mod that adds a contact form (never tried it).  IIRC, phpbb has an admin option to display a contact link.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

It was always on my plan to implement, but it hasn't been implemented AFAIK - then again, neither have the GDPR features.

Sir Osis of Liver

Kind of ironic, there's a contact form here, though it's well hidden.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: sky23 on March 21, 2019, 02:55:05 PM
It is not the decision of the Developers to deny such a important feature!

It is precisely a decision for the developers. Nevertheless, your feedback is appreciated and will be given consideration. Thank you. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

sky23

Hi Sesquipedalian, thank you for your kind point of view, appreciate a consideration.

It's only my opinion, many times we have had here discussions about "Freedom of Choice" matters...

Making a Poll or else would all enlighten us maybe, i think the majority would like to see this feature.
Admin's don't like it later, they could just switch it off.

Arantor

Given that the feature used to exist up until 2.1 and was only removed between a combination of lack of use, and abuse when it was used, it seemed a perfect justification to me to remove it at the time I removed it.

Illori

we dont have time to run a poll here each time a dev wants to make a change in the next version of SMF. we want the dev team to do what they see necessary to move forward. if you want the feature back, find a developer and ask them to code it for you as a mod.

sky23

@illori, @Arantor
clear, all clear...

But i do not think that this Admin-Mail feature was taken off cause of lack of use.

Wouldn't it be possible to do a kind of wish list then?

For me, FREEDOM OF CHOICE should have first priority.
Means: A Admin should have full control over these kinds of features.  :)

Illori

we are not adding a feature back that has been removed. if you want it back you need to hire someone to code it for you.

Arantor

Quote from: sky23 on March 23, 2019, 06:49:00 AM
@illori, @Arantor
clear, all clear...

But i do not think that this Admin-Mail feature was taken off cause of lack of use.

Wouldn't it be possible to do a kind of wish list then?

For me, FREEDOM OF CHOICE should have first priority.
Means: A Admin should have full control over these kinds of features.  :)

You realise you are literally arguing with the person who removed it over why they removed it. I know exactly why I removed it and that was after talking to the people using forums at the time. The reality is that the feature simply isn't used nearly as much as you claim, and a feature you decide you need does not equate to a feature that everyone needs.

sky23

Didn't know that you are part of the Dev Team, but now i do.
Explains it for me now...

Advertisement: