For Members no Admin Mail Button visible?

Started by sky23, March 21, 2019, 12:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illori

he was part of the dev team. he is not currently a member of the team.

Arantor

Quote from: sky23 on March 23, 2019, 08:31:22 AM
Didn't know that you are part of the Dev Team, but now i do.
Explains it for me now...

I was in 2013/14 when this feature was removed.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Arantor on March 21, 2019, 03:04:13 PM
You really like giving out your personal email address to potentially every member of the forum? Really? (Because that's what that button does.)

Yes, I may want to this for a reason... not your every day scenario, I know, but there could be scenarios where this feature might come in handy (forums with invite only registration comes to mind, where you probably have like 100 members and they all seem to know each other pretty well, including you, the admin).

Quote from: Arantor on March 21, 2019, 03:04:13 PM
Never mind that it's potentially a GDPR problem to deal with, never mind that if a spammer gets onto your site, you're going to be shoved onto spam lists like nobody's business.

This option could easily be made available to the admin if he chooses not to enforce GDPR.

But, I agree with you on that point, being a GDPR nightmare. That's why it should be made a feature only if you choose not to enforce GDPR on your forum. You can't have it both ways ;).

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2019, 05:22:43 AM
Given that the feature used to exist up until 2.1 and was only removed between a combination of lack of use, and abuse when it was used, it seemed a perfect justification to me to remove it at the time I removed it.

There may have been abuses of the feature, but that doesn't mean that it should not be present in the software. The feature doesn't "break" the software, does it :)? People misuse features and should therefore take responsibility for it, not the ones making the software ;).

Quote from: sky23 on March 23, 2019, 06:49:00 AM
For me, FREEDOM OF CHOICE should have first priority.
Means: A Admin should have full control over these kinds of features.  :)

Completely agree with you on this ;).

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2019, 07:16:03 AM
You realise you are literally arguing with the person who removed it over why they removed it. I know exactly why I removed it and that was after talking to the people using forums at the time. The reality is that the feature simply isn't used nearly as much as you claim, and a feature you decide you need does not equate to a feature that everyone needs.

But, then again, that doesn't mean that no one uses it, right? And adding or removing that feature doesn't mean a redesign of the software from scratch, right ;). So, why remove it.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arantor

I think y'all missing the point here. We're not discussing a feature that doesn't exist. We're discussing a feature 2.0 had that routinely got abused for spam purposes and so it was removed. The fact it discloses email addresses is just a side detail.

But sure, this is just another decision I made that I got wrong. Sorry for ruining your day everyone.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Arantor on March 23, 2019, 04:34:21 PM
But sure, this is just another decision I made that I got wrong. Sorry for ruining your day everyone.

Nobody is pointing a finger at you, I'm just trying to understand why that decision was made. It could've been anybody, not just you. You made it because you believe it got got abused (as reported by users). Agreed, that's a valid point, but wouldn't it be a better option not to remove it completely, just disable it and make the option visible for advanced users only, like putting a switch in Settings.php to make the option visible ;)?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

Arantor

Firstly, it's a feature that is off by default in 2.0 to share your details. So already it's a limited feature. Secondly, every single forum I was running at the time - and every SMF forum I was a member of where this was actually turned on by people was reporting spam through it. (Including here.)

Turning off the permissions for it - i.e. disabling the feature - was the only way to avoid this.

If the concern is about getting some kind of contact feature for the admin, use a damned contact form (i.e. the correct tool for the job) and not abusing a 'feature' that has been problematic for over a decade.

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Yes, I know the contact page mod ;). I have it installed and it's working fine ;).

Still, as I said, it could've been removed and a switch added in Settings.php... a far better solution IMO.

Arantor

Then we'd have a million options and software that was impossible to debug.

GigaWatt

Well, you cornered me with that comment :P :).

Arantor

No, if I really wanted to corner you, I'd point out the S in SMF stands for SIMPLE.

SychO

indeed, some things are better left for customisations.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

sky23

@Giga Watt
Agree with you in each point of your responses!
Feels good to read what you wrote..

Specially the "Freedom of Choice" thing... ;D

Arantor

Yes, you're free to install a mod that does it ;D Or pay someone to build a mod for it. Or even ask for it to be added - just as I was free to remove it doing what I believed to be the right thing.

Advertisement: