News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Possible bugg

Started by mats_o, March 24, 2019, 05:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SychO

Quote from: Arantor on March 29, 2019, 02:22:50 PM
Quote from: SychO on March 29, 2019, 01:51:32 PM
except the topic split ui is supposed to let you select which posts go into the new split topic

Does the topic not give you the tick boxes and the option st the bottom to split them or was that broken in addition to the select posts UI being broken? Pretty sure this works correctly and does what the OP needs in 2.0.

It's not broken, even that works just fine, so I'm not sure what OP is talking about anymore
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

mats_o

No it does not work fine.

it brings up a topic split screen that shouldn't be needed at all.
There is no way to choose name or placement of the new thread
there is no button to move posts
there is no button to copy posts

all of it should be doable directly from the postview

that's for starters in lacking functionality compared to Xen

Arantor

So go back to XenForo already, you clearly were looking for justification to stay there, guess you found it.

SychO

just because xenforo does it that way doesn't mean SMF has to do it the same way, besides once you split the posts into a new topic, you can change the topic's name and move it wherever you want.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Kindred

we will have to agree to disagree then, since IMO, the move post function does not belong within the split post function - and I don't think that copy topics is a good idea anyway since that will result in lowering your SEO scores.... :P

(and, the first screen of the split post option DOES give you the option to change the post title of the split post)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mats_o

Quote from: Kindred on March 29, 2019, 03:35:07 PM

(and, the first screen of the split post option DOES give you the option to change the post title of the split post)

You DO NOT get that Screen if you use the checkbox approach .......

Kindred

Ok...  so use the other approach...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mats_o

Quote from: Kindred on March 29, 2019, 08:41:39 PM
Ok...  so use the other approach...

Because this one doesn't have that functionality (either) which was my point from the first place.
Quote from: mats_o
we miss the checkboxes on the posts and the related functions.

Arantor

So your complaint is that software developed by 2-3 full time people has more features that you care about than software developed by 4-5 people occasionally in their spare time and you don't want to pay for it, good to know.

mats_o

Quote from: Arantor on March 31, 2019, 06:11:26 AM
So your complaint is that software developed by 2-3 full time people has more features that you care about than software developed by 4-5 people occasionally in their spare time and you don't want to pay for it, good to know.

No, it's customer feedback from an eval of SMF and what they saw as the biggest issues and weaknesses.   
What they want to pay for is their decision but they where serious enough about this to hire me on a 40 hour consulting engagement as technical support in the eval team.

Arantor

In which case you definitely want to choose XenForo because in the event of major issues, they have thing like warranties available.

landyvlad

Quote from: mats_o on March 31, 2019, 03:59:23 PM
hire me on a 40 hour consulting engagement as technical support in the eval team.

Well we can see who the winner in this whole thing is !

Is bleating on this forum billable hours?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Arantor

Of course it is. Though I would have cost significantly less to tell you what the most appropriate forum product for a given situation is (and it isn't always SMF)

Advertisement: