News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.1 RC2 Released

Started by Sesquipedalian, March 30, 2019, 12:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Not to mention that upgrades from 2.0 to 2.1 in any capacity aren't done via the package manager.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Deaks

and if you do upgrade you will lose all your mods and any customisation you have made
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

SD-X

No one should be doing a major upgrade like that with mods installed anyway.

GirlinGray

Appreciate the replies and info.

Sorry for posting in the wrong spot.
That Adams Girl

alphaweb

About to give this a try again. Been a while since last time and wasn't to pleased then. Hopefully it has improved in the later versions.

SD-X

Quote from: alphaweb on January 24, 2020, 12:09:59 PM
About to give this a try again. Been a while since last time and wasn't to pleased then. Hopefully it has improved in the later versions.
2.1 is still in development, so it isn't meant to be used in a production environment. Bugs and issues are to be expected at this stage.

Randem

Did some upgrade testing on SMF 2.1 RC2 and it is going very well. For those who are having issues, I would like to offer some suggestions:

• I recommend that you do this on a test copy of your site before you do it on a live site. In that way if you encounter problems you wont need emergency help getting your production site back in operation.

• If upgrading from 2.0.15, You must upgrade to 2.0.16 and then 2.0.17 before attempting the upgrade to 2.1 RC2

• When upgrading to SMF 2.1 RC2 YOU MUST UNINSTALL ALL MODS! Most of the MODs for 2.0.x will not install properly in 2.1 RC2

• Download from the SMF website the UPGRADE package for 2.1 RC2, NOT the INSTALL package.

• Decompress the UPGRADE package then upload the contents to your site over-writing the 2.0.17 files. Your Settings.php file will still be the same and the upgrade package will use it.

• Access your site from in the browser (https://YOURDOMAINNAME or https://YOURDOMAINNAME/SUBFOLDER) The upgrade will begin

• After the upgrade completes, test your site to make sure all is fine BEFORE you start to add MODs back in.

• All MODs are not 2.1 RC2 compatible and the ones that are not will need to be replaced with updated MODs that are compatible with 2.1 RC2

• There are still a few minor tweaks that need to be added to the upgrade and they are posted elsewhere in the forum

Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Ben_S

Quote from: Randem on February 09, 2020, 05:43:34 PM
Did some upgrade testing on SMF 2.1 RC2 and it is going very well. For those who are having issues, I would like to offer some suggestions:

• I recommend that you do this on a test copy of your site before you do it on a live site. In that way if you encounter problems you wont need emergency help getting your production site back in operation.
  • If upgrading from 2.0.15, You must upgrade to 2.0.16 and then 2.0.17 before attempting the upgrade to 2.1 RC2
    [/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l]

I wonder how all those people that upgraded long before 2.0.16/17 was available managed?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

live627

bro I heard that you like upgrades, so I'm upgrading your upgrade from an older upgrade.

SD-X

Quote from: Ben_S on February 10, 2020, 08:51:50 AM
Quote from: Randem on February 09, 2020, 05:43:34 PM

[/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l][/l]

I wonder how all those people that upgraded long before 2.0.16/17 was available managed?
He probably should have written "should" and not "must".

Randem

To all those who replied to my suggestion. There were still some questions about the upgrade, so I decided to try to be helpful and give some insight instead of basically only replying to post to give no help at all which is exactly what you are doing which helps NO ONE! But I imagine that is the point of your existence here...
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

SD-X

Quote from: Randem on February 10, 2020, 12:03:23 PM
To all those who replied to my suggestion. There were still some questions about the upgrade, so I decided to try to be helpful and give some insight instead of basically only replying to post to give no help at all which is exactly what you are doing which helps NO ONE! But I imagine that is the point of your existence here...
There is no need to attack everyone because of their comments. If you feel they are offensive, report them. Don't retaliate and make it worse. Not all of us were making fun of you.

Shambles

Makes no difference - this isn't a support topic anyway.

live627

The upgrade utility only works on the database. It doesn't even need any file from 2.0...

No database changes were made between 2.0 and 2.0.17.

Gary

Theres a couple I believe but they are minor (GDPR functions) also on upgrade your mods are technically uninstalled automatically since the code to run the db data isn't there given you're required to upload fresh set of files for 2.1

The upgrader is designed to get you from any version from YaBB SE 1.5.5 to the newest SMF version at that point. Ignoring external factors like PHP and MySQL versions.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

SD-X

Quote from: Gary on February 12, 2020, 07:04:24 AM
Theres a couple I believe but they are minor (GDPR functions) also on upgrade your mods are technically uninstalled automatically since the code to run the db data isn't there given you're required to upload fresh set of files for 2.1

The upgrader is designed to get you from any version from YaBB SE 1.5.5 to the newest SMF version at that point. Ignoring external factors like PHP and MySQL versions.
Unless I'm mistaken, the upgrader doesn't uninstall your mods from the database. (At least it didn't in the earlier days). That's why people often have issues with lingering code. You should be completely uninstalling mods anyway if upgrading from SMF 2.0.x to 2.1.x, as none of them are cross-compatible unless they've been explicitly coded to be.

Illori

the upgrade process will not delete the data from the mods in the database but it will remove hooks and edits to files.

cpf

Are there issues if we didn't upgrade to 2.0.16 or 2.0.17?  Those upgrades didn't take for me, but I had a successful upgrade on my test box while on 2.0.15 (which my production site still is).
Don't email me, PM me, IM me, contact me, look at me, breath on me, or even attempt to think about thinking of contacting me.  If you do, I will send you to the correct forum to post, where I will promptly tell you that you posted in the wrong forum.

Kindred

2.0.17 contains functional and security updates
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

live627

You can upgrade from 2.0.15 to 2.1.

Advertisement: