News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Missing Messages after DB Restore

Started by t00nces, April 01, 2019, 08:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t00nces

Greetings,

I've recently had to restore a deleted SMF installation and after initial setup (2.015), I went to my DB management panel and restored my old SMF DB to the new one.  The users, boards, etc. have all been restored but none of the posts are visible.  I've checked the tables in the DB and the posts are definitely there but they don't show up when I log into the forum and try to get to a post, I get:

'An Error Has Occurred! - The topic or board you are looking for appears to be missing or off limits to you.'

A search of this forum suggests that the message themselves are somehow deleted but I can see them in the DB when I open that in my DB Admin panel.

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Regards,

t.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: t00nces on April 01, 2019, 08:56:32 PM
Greetings,

I've recently had to restore a deleted SMF installation and after initial setup (2.015), I went to my DB management panel and restored my old SMF DB to the new one.  The users, boards, etc. have all been restored but none of the posts are visible.  I've checked the tables in the DB and the posts are definitely there but they don't show up when I log into the forum and try to get to a post, I get:

'An Error Has Occurred! - The topic or board you are looking for appears to be missing or off limits to you.'

A search of this forum suggests that the message themselves are somehow deleted but I can see them in the DB when I open that in my DB Admin panel.

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Regards,

t.

What version is the backup that you retored from?

t00nces

Quote from: doug_ips on April 02, 2019, 07:56:06 AM
What version is the backup that you retored from?

I don't know for sure but I suspect it was 2.09.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards,

t.

Doug Heffernan

It looks to me that you are using the 2..0.15 files with a 2.0.9 database. Can you run the upgrader?

P.s. Can you also run the Find and repair any errors&Recount all forum totals and statistics options located at the Maintenance area of your Admin Panel and see if it would help.

Illori

there are no database changes. the user does not need to run the upgrader.

t00nces

I haven't run the upgrader but I did run all the available fixes and no joy.  I'm not sure if this makes a difference but I didn't do the DB restore until after I had done all the upgrades from 2.06 -> 2.15.  Again, boards, users, etc. are all there - just no messages.

Would it make sense to repeat the process and restore the DB at 2.09 or maybe right at the initial install of 2.06 (Go Daddy hosting and available install)?

Regards,

t.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You should be able to just restore the DB, if the backup is actually complete and uncorrupted.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

t00nces

Hi Aleksi,

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 03, 2019, 12:21:42 AM
You should be able to just restore the DB, if the backup is actually complete and uncorrupted.

I'm pretty sure the backup is complete and uncorrupted (it's been used in the past). There's no indication that any of the tables are bad or that the data is scrambled.  I'm going to try a re-install and restore the DB at 2.06 and see if that works.

Regards,

t.

t00nces

Problem solved.

After re-installing 2.06 and then updating to 2.07, I performed a DB restore through my DB Admin control panel. All the messages re-appeared and I was then able to update the forum to 2.15 (incremental version updates).  Everything is up-to-date and back to normal.

t.

Advertisement: