Upgrade stuck 1.1.7 to 2

Started by iPacific, April 02, 2019, 12:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iPacific

I thought it was time to get to a current SMF version. I was confident I could delete my forum folder and do a clean install of 2-0-15 SMF  and link to the database. Ran install.php
Well I got 65% of the way and got error "!The installer has detected another version of SMF already installed with the specified information. If you are trying to upgrade, you should use the upgrader, not the installer."

So I downloaded the 2-0-15 upgrader package and uploaded. Ran upgrade.php and immediately got errors. "
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/content/12/14007812/html/forum/upgrade.php on line 3521
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/content/12/14007812/html/forum/upgrade.php on line 3526"

I am stuck! Can anyone tell me how to get out of this pickle?  I want to use my existing database with  a current version of SMF.
I am on godaddy host with SMF 20 good years - until now!
Thank you so much!
David

SpacePhoenix

Did you make a complete backup of both the forum folder and the database before starting?

Bigguy

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: iPacific on April 02, 2019, 12:21:33 AM
I thought it was time to get to a current SMF version. I was confident I could delete my forum folder and do a clean install of 2-0-15 SMF  and link to the database. Ran install.php
Well I got 65% of the way and got error "!The installer has detected another version of SMF already installed with the specified information. If you are trying to upgrade, you should use the upgrader, not the installer."

So I downloaded the 2-0-15 upgrader package and uploaded. Ran upgrade.php and immediately got errors. "
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_progress in /home/content/12/14007812/html/forum/upgrade.php on line 3521
Notice: Undefined index: upgrade_step in /home/content/12/14007812/html/forum/upgrade.php on line 3526"

I am stuck! Can anyone tell me how to get out of this pickle?  I want to use my existing database with  a current version of SMF.
I am on godaddy host with SMF 20 good years - until now!
Thank you so much!
David

May I ask why did you run the installer while you wanted to upgrade? I do not know if the installer caused any damage, but try to follow the steps mentioned in the link provided above by @Bigguy. Otherwise your best option would be to roll back, that is if you took a backup of the database and forum files and give upgrading another go.

iPacific

I appreciate your answers, but no solution yet.  I first tried using the godaddy updater, did not work. Then rant repair settings.php  and found the database had moved.
Yes I backed up everything and follow SMF instructions.   One of the challenges on godaddy is that you cannot use locahost for the location of the database, you have to enter an address and it changes every few years as godaddy moves things around. The install acccepted the correct location for the database, that is why it almost finished.
But the updater was immediately stuck, no progress.
Both the upgrade and updater files replace almost everything in the SMF directory.
Are there some files I should bring back from the original install that would let the updater work?
I cannot tell from the lines in the error messages (see images)

The code at lines 3521-3526:

<h2>', $txt['upgrade_progress'], '</h2>
            <ul>';
foreach ($upcontext['steps'] as $num => $step)
     echo '
      <li class="', $num < $upcontext['current_step'] ? 'stepdone' : ($num == $upcontext['current_step'] ? 'stepcurrent' : 'stepwaiting'), '">', $txt['upgrade_step'], ' ', $step[0], ': ', $step[1], '</li>';

echo '
               </ul>

Bigguy

Did the installer make any database changes. It looks like it stopped before it did.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can't upgrade directly from 1.1.7 to 2.0.15.  Upgrade to 1.1.21, then 2.0.15.  You may also have to change your php version.  Which php are you currently running?  Do you have a good 1.1.7 database backup from before you started?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: iPacific on April 02, 2019, 10:57:13 AM
I appreciate your answers, but no solution yet.  I first tried using the godaddy updater, did not work. Then rant repair settings.php  and found the database had moved.
Yes I backed up everything and follow SMF instructions.   One of the challenges on godaddy is that you cannot use locahost for the location of the database, you have to enter an address and it changes every few years as godaddy moves things around. The install acccepted the correct location for the database, that is why it almost finished.
But the updater was immediately stuck, no progress.
Both the upgrade and updater files replace almost everything in the SMF directory.
Are there some files I should bring back from the original install that would let the updater work?
I cannot tell from the lines in the error messages (see images)

The code at lines 3521-3526:

<h2>', $txt['upgrade_progress'], '</h2>
            <ul>';
foreach ($upcontext['steps'] as $num => $step)
     echo '
      <li class="', $num < $upcontext['current_step'] ? 'stepdone' : ($num == $upcontext['current_step'] ? 'stepcurrent' : 'stepwaiting'), '">', $txt['upgrade_step'], ' ', $step[0], ': ', $step[1], '</li>';

echo '
               </ul>

There are several solutions posted btw. Anyways, what do you mean by "and found the database had moved"? Has moved how, where? You are not giving us much details so we can see what went on and help you.

Like I already said in my previous post, if the installer has caused damage, the best thing under the circumstances would be to roll back to the backup, assuming you made one before attempting the upgrade, and give upgrading another go.

P.s. Can you post the link to your forum?

Sir Osis of Liver

- R. Waters

iPacific

Thank you for ideas. The godaddy installer said it could go from 1.1.5 to 2, but it did not work.
So, I used godaddy to revert back to version 1.1.5
Site still broken.
Then I downloaded the settings.php and manually edited it to properly link to database and files and uploaded it to the site.
This has got me going again.

Still some things to fix before I attempt going to a version 2.
Fingers crossed, maybe the site is on the mend!
Thanks for suggestions and encouragement.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 02, 2019, 05:33:46 PM
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 02, 2019, 03:51:00 PM
You can't upgrade directly from 1.1.7 to 2.0.15.

You should very well be able. Have done this.

What you can not do however is go back after an attempted upgrade, without a proper backup.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

iPacific

Looks like the rollback in versions also lost recent posts, I can live with that.

Has anyone seen this error or know a way to address it?
hxxp:www.ipacific.com/forum/index.php [nonactive]
Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/12/14007812/html/forum/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's a warning, should not cause problems (but tells you that the function will disappear in subsequent PHP updates. )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

You shouldn't have attempted upgrade or rollback using GoDaddy installer, it's likely your database is trashed.  Do you have a backup from before you started this misadventure?

And no, Lex, you may have done a direct upgrade from early 1.1 to 2.0, but I don't believe it ever worked for me, and almost certainly can' t be done on GoDaddy.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just saying, the upgrader is designed to be able to handle YabbSE to 2.0.x and anythin in between, so if in some case it does not work, does not mean it should not work for anyone.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

iPacific

hxxp:www.ipacific.com/forum/ [nonactive]
Forum is working, thanks Aleksi for saying the glitches should go away in update process. The godaddy roll back did work for me, despite glitches.
Now the challenge is to get it into the modern era of 2.
I am a little hesitant to do a major update. Looks like about 50 patches would be needed if it cannot be done faster in a major upgrade. Fun!

Kindred

We  have discovered some servers (might be godaddy related, since they are a pile of random software and hardware thrown together and called a "server")

Best solution we have found
upgrade 1.1.x to 1.1.21
then remove custom themes and set the theme to default/Core
check PHP version in use... if php is less than 5.4
    then upgrade to 2.0.13
    then upgrade your php version to 5.6
if php is 5.6
    then upgrade to 2.0.15
after you are on 2.015, upgrade php to 7.0 or 7.1

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Haven't GoDaddy finished moving everything to AWS yet?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: iPacific on April 03, 2019, 12:23:08 AM
http://www.ipacific.com/forum/
Forum is working, thanks Aleksi for saying the glitches should go away in update process. The godaddy roll back did work for me, despite glitches.
Now the challenge is to get it into the modern era of 2.
I am a little hesitant to do a major update. Looks like about 50 patches would be needed if it cannot be done faster in a major upgrade. Fun!

You do not need to do the patches. First of all, make yourself a backup of database and forum files. Do not rely on your host about this.

Next step, download the large 2.0.15 upgrade package, unzip it and upload its content to your forum folder overwritting its content and as last run the upgrader.

Should you have any additional questions post here and we will try to help you further. Good luck.

Kindred

that may fail - depending on the php version.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, this works on GoDaddy:

- Downgrade php to 5.4.
- Upgrade forum to 1.1.21.
- Upgrade php to 5.6.
- Upgrade forum to 2.0.15.

If you have a large database, you may not be able to upgrade at all.  I've done several GD forums where I had to import db to clean install on my server, upgrade, then import db back to GD.  They have more server configurations than you can shake a stick at, some worse than others. Good luck.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: