News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Clone Topic

Started by Shawnh159, April 06, 2019, 07:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Shawnh159 on April 06, 2019, 06:11:29 PM
i don't like playing around there

And why is that if I may ask?

You have no other choice if you want to use the mod. Do not be afraid, it is pretty easy. All you have to do is follow the instructions and you are good to go.

Or, you can either pay someone else to do it for you or find someone that is willing to do it for free.

Shambles

Fairly typical stuff around the support boards here.

Revel in the glory of having an "admin badge" but not prepared to do any work to justify it.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Shambles on April 06, 2019, 06:31:26 PM

Fairly typical stuff around the support boards here.

Revel in the glory of having an "admin badge" but not prepared to do any work to justify it.

Very well said.

Shawnh159

yes, one loaded but wasn't functional and the other loaded with errors,  wondering if i should move into a newer theme. would this help with some of the mods not loading right?

br360

The second mod you are trying to install is probably showing errors because it edits similar code as the first mod does. Did you uninstall (not delete) the first mod? Uninstall that first making sure there are no errors, and then the second one may install cleanly without the error notifications

Shawnh159

I always uninstall, I tried them one at a time, not together.   maybe a more up to date theme?

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

br360

On a side note: like others have said, the core theme is very old and you almost certainly will have issues with it down the road if you try installing more mods due to them not installing cleanly. I would recommend using the default SMF curve theme or try looking at some of the newer themes that have been released.

Also, I think most people with no coding experience are probably pretty nervous about manually editing in code on their forum at first. Personally, I think that's natural.

What I would recommend is creating a test site as well, so you can practice making edits in templates, moving lines of code, etc. If you make a mistake, it's just a test site so no bid deal.

You should also be creating a backup before installing or uninstalling a mod. You should aslo backup before editing a template or source file. For example; if a mod is letting you know that say index.template.php file will fail during install, you could back up that file and then manually edit in the code that mod requires into the template. If you edit in the wrong place and your forum becomes unusable, you can just upload the original template you backed up and upload it back as if nothing ever happened and try again. (this would all be after you did a complete back up of the entire forum of course ;) )

Shawnh159

Thanks for all the help "everyone"

Shawnh159

changed themes and all is good now..  so i do have a question, if you clone a post, and you remove the clone why does it remove the post you made the clone of, why does it remove both?

Kindred

support for and questions regarding specific mods should be asked in the support topic dedicated to that specific mod.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: