News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

FTPing then several menus buttons across several menus disappeared

Started by PenelopeQ, April 07, 2019, 06:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PenelopeQ

Version 2.0.15

Don't know what happened. I was ftping some ID badges for new members of the Mod Team. Did some last night and had to go to bed...no problems last night. Continuing now with other themes and editing an old one, so replacing the old with new.
Went back to forum and  :o. My menu buttons are sort of gone--admin, moderate, profile... Later saw that if I hover over the top they show up--small with no label. I think I got to the search function, but clicking admin or profile just gets me to a page with my theme and no content--header stuff, limited menu and then two horizontal bars.

Same thing when I clicked on the ! to approve a post.

Menu buttons for posting now have no labels--got lucky and chose the right one. Same for submitting. After submitting it took me to that blank page again...but breadcrumbs were still there for the board, so I got back and the post had gone through.

Seriously, what did I do?

Doug Heffernan

If you uploaded only images then it should not cause some of the issues that you are describing. Try to re-upload them again and make sure that they are uploaded properly.

Regarding the clicking admin or profile issues, can you post the link to your forum, or a screenshot if possible?

GigaWatt

Check whether you uploaded them in ASCII, Auto or binary mode with your FTP client. If it's set to Auto or ASCII, set it to binary mode.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

PenelopeQ

Yeah, I know that what I was doing should not have caused this. I'm wondering if I made some sort of typo while going--such as hit the wrong button when it asked me if I wanted to write over the file I was replacing with an edited version. That's all I can think of.

Okay, I created a few screenshots in one doc.
A. This is a shot of the profile page before so you can see the menu.
B. This is a shot of the main board. There are small buttons at the top of the board for posting--but no labels.
C. This is a shot of the post/reply box.  The blank drop-down is for font colors--they are there, but no words. Interestingly, font size does have words--so part of the issue seems to be about the length of text.
D. This is what it looks like after I select submit for a post.

Forum Link: https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php

PenelopeQ

Quote from: GigaWatt on April 07, 2019, 07:26:38 PM
Check whether you uploaded them in ASCII, Auto or binary mode with your FTP client. If it's set to Auto or ASCII, set it to binary mode.
How/Where would I check this?
I'd been uploading with nonissues and then suddenly an issue. I've had to upload these images for new team members before--it's one of the only reasons I even use ftp these days. This is the first time anything like this has happened.

Sir Osis of Liver

Looks like you've been busy.  You have over a million errors in your forum error log, and server log is over 3 mb.  Maybe time for a clean install to clean things up.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

PenelopeQ

Uffda! :o

How do I do that--or anything really...without the menu buttons to give me access the places?

Sir Osis of Liver

Will see if I can get in, if I'm still admin.

All of the stub menu buttons go to legal disclaimer.  Tried resetting to default Curve with repair_settings, no help.  Not a clue what's happened.  Will do clean install and connect to your prod database, see what's there.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

It's running here, database looks ok.  If you do a clean install, you'll have to reinstall all mods, custom theme shouldn't be affected.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Looks like you've gone offline.  Set you back to https://mlcforum.theherosspouse.com/index.php, uploaded default Curve from 8-11-18 backup.  You somehow damaged /Themes/default, left it in /default.sav.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: PenelopeQ on April 07, 2019, 10:39:42 PM
Uffda! :o

How do I do that--or anything really...without the menu buttons to give me access the places?

I would strongly advice against a clean install at this point.

Can you post a screenshot of your error log as well?

Regarding theme issues, you can uninstall it and re-install it again and it should solve the issues. Regarding uploading images, follow  GigaWatt 's instructions.

Sir Osis of Liver

Default Curve was damaged, replaced it from local backup (I've worked on this forum several times) it's fixed.  Haven't had time to see how she broke it.  Does need to be cleaned up.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: