SMF and Coppermine - how many databases?

Started by jonesH, April 08, 2019, 01:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesH

Everything else being the same...

It seems to me that I could install SMF in one database and Coppermine in another, then bridge them.

Or I could install SMF in one database and then install Coppermine in the same database, and finally bridge them.

What are the pros and cons of each approach?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this...

Arantor

As long as the prefixes are different, it'll be fine.

There aren't really any major differences between the two options other than convenience and tidiness, though second DB is slightly more annoying to set up and can complicate setting up the bridge, though protects you slightly better against badly written addons that don't use prefixes correctly.

I'd generally suggest everyone in one DB because in my experience the extra setup isn't worth the effort.

njtweb

I had a wordpress/smf bridged site 6 years ago. The bridge worked but it had some drawbacks. Mainly logging in and out and existing members.

If I installed coppermine and bridged will it identify existing members when they login? And will you be able to login and log out of either SMF or Coppermine?

Arantor

I honestly don't remember how the Coppermine bridge behaves, mostly because I never used it... in the end I just built my own integrated gallery for SMF. I am currently getting that ready for 2.1 RC2 btw.

lurkalot

Quote from: njtweb on April 12, 2019, 01:12:44 PM

If I installed coppermine and bridged will it identify existing members when they login? And will you be able to login and log out of either SMF or Coppermine?

https://coppermine-gallery.net/docs/curr/en/bridging.htm

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I am currently running a Coppermine gallery bridged with 2.0.15 - Can't remember how exactly, but Coppermine reads user data and permissions from SMF directly, and uses that data to identify users logged on to the forum ( The bridge completely disables the Coppermine's built in registration features )
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lurkalot

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 12, 2019, 01:43:39 PM

I am currently running a Coppermine gallery bridged with 2.0.15

So am I.

Both SMF and Coppermine sharing the same database.  And bridged. https://cameracraniums.com/forum/

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: lurkalot on April 12, 2019, 01:48:07 PM
https://cameracraniums.com/forum/
Cool, you've got that integrated nicely - I was all too lazy to try and fine tune SMF and Coppermine to work together that well. :P
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lurkalot

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 12, 2019, 01:54:02 PM
Cool, you've got that integrated nicely - I was all too lazy to try and fine tune SMF and Coppermine to work together that well. :P

Well I wouldn't say integrated as such. Coppermine is using its default theme which just happens to be a SMF curve lookalike.  And a few bits of code in some portal blocks to show random images and latest images, image of the week etc on home page.   I didn't go too mad as there's only about ten members using it. lol..

njtweb

Quote from: lurkalot on April 12, 2019, 02:40:56 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 12, 2019, 01:54:02 PM

Well I wouldn't say integrated as such. Coppermine is using its default theme which just happens to be a SMF curve lookalike.  And a few bits of code in some portal blocks to show random images and latest images, image of the week etc on home page.   I didn't go too mad as there's only about ten members using it. lol..

Has anybody tried embedding youtube videos? That's my main interest. I'll check out your site later on my phone too. Wondering if the Coppermine part is responsive.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You don't need Coppermine for Youtube, and I wouldn't suggest Coppermine if that's your main concern.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

njtweb

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 12, 2019, 03:14:16 PM
You don't need Coppermine for Youtube, and I wouldn't suggest Coppermine if that's your main concern.

Hi Aleksi, I want to do a video portal but there aren't any except for SMFHacks which isn't responsive. Why would you say not to use Coppermine? No good?

lurkalot

Quote from: njtweb on April 12, 2019, 06:31:26 PM

Hi Aleksi, I want to do a video portal but there aren't any except for SMFHacks which isn't responsive. Why would you say not to use Coppermine? No good?

Unless our dev team changed it (Id have to check) in the last version, I'm pretty sure you can't embed videos in Coppermine without installing a plugin, even then I'm not sure it's that straight forward.

Arantor's  Levgal mod does let you do this easily though.  Only issue would be the responsive stuff.

njtweb

Quote from: lurkalot on April 12, 2019, 07:06:47 PM

Unless our dev team changed it (Id have to check) in the last version, I'm pretty sure you can't embed videos in Coppermine without installing a plugin, even then I'm not sure it's that straight forward.

Arantor's  Levgal mod does let you do this easily though.  Only issue would be the responsive stuff.

Your dev team manages Coppermine Mick?

lurkalot

Quote from: njtweb on April 12, 2019, 07:08:35 PM
Quote from: lurkalot on April 12, 2019, 07:06:47 PM

Your dev team manages Coppermine Mick?

Not my Dev team.  I'm just one of the Coppermine team admins.  ;)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I mean Coppermine is a bit too robust solution just to embed contents from 3rd party sites in my opinion.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

njtweb

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 12, 2019, 11:06:15 PM
I mean Coppermine is a bit too robust solution just to embed contents from 3rd party sites in my opinion.

I agree. However, my objective is to have the video hot linked to view on my site in a clean, organized and efficient way, I don't want to send them away. I know I can make posts in a forum but I'd like my guests and members to have an open view selecting a category and seeing everything in front of them like youtube where they can see similar videos and other vid categories right in front of them without having to click topics.

But like Youtube I need it to be responsive. That's why I asked if the script is responsive.

Biology Forums

Curious about something, is coppermine a fork of smf?

Arantor

No, it's its own package, they just decided to make their default theme based off Curve with SMF's permission.

njtweb

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on April 12, 2019, 01:43:39 PM

I am currently running a Coppermine gallery bridged with 2.0.15

So am I.

Both SMF and Coppermine sharing the same database.  And bridged. https://cameracraniums.com/forum/

Checked it out. Everything is responsive up to clicking on an image on my phone. When I click on one it doesn't scale. Everything else though seems to be responsive like the index, categories etc.

Advertisement: