News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Connect to one db from two servers?

Started by Gryzor, April 08, 2019, 04:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello everyone!

Here's my issue: our forum was blocked for some really valuable users from their office security software (Palo Alto). I'm trying to find a way to give them access again, so I would like to ask if it's possible to set up a server on another machine and connect to the forum db from there? Would that cause any issues?

If that's not possible, anyone's got any idea on what I could do?

Thanks!
T

Doug Heffernan

I do not think that there is much that you can do in this case. Most likely your website has been blocked by their url filtering and being placed in the Blocked Category.

Gryzor

I know that, that's what I'm trying to circumvent :D

So my two plans are, either I set up another domain with an smf installation that calls the db (if possible at all) or I set up a private proxy...

Arantor

The problem with the other domain is that it won't work properly because URLs are stored in the database e.g. theme URLs.

Gryzor

Ack... Yeah, that was my main concern, absolute URLs. Damn, plan B it is!

Thanks for confirming though!

Louis

In any case I'd say the root cause is the "security" software blocking access.
Might well be that users should simply not spend their working time surfing the internet and thus access to forums (and other website categories) is generally blocked by policy...
Or your forum got blacklisted in error.
It is your mind that creates this world (Buddha)

Advertisement: