News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Quick New Topic Button

Started by Sesquipedalian, April 10, 2019, 08:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sesquipedalian

Link to the mod

Quick New Topic Button

A modification for Simple Machines Forum 2.1 that adds a button to the main forum menu to start a new topic.

Clicking the button takes the user straight to the post authoring form. The form will include a select menu where the user must choose a board in which to post the new topic.

There are benefits and drawbacks to installing this button. On the one hand, not forcing users to navigate to a board before they can post makes it easier for inexperienced users to get involved in your community. On the other hand, this also increases the likelihood that users will post a new topic before reading the existing topics in a board. So whether this button is helpful or unhelpful will depend on the nature of your community.

The button is not shown to anyone when you first install the mod. It must be toggled on for specific members or membergroups (see below) before it will appear.

Settings

There is one administrator setting, Membergroups that see New Topic button in main menu by default, available in Administration Center ► Features and Options ► Layout. Groups selected in this setting will see the button by default, while unselected groups will not. So if you want to show the button to new members but not to more experienced ones (or vice versa), you can do that here.

Note that the administrator setting merely sets defaults. Individual members can always override these defaults using the Show New Topic button in main menu setting, available in Profile ► Look and Layout.

Also note that the button will never be shown to members who are not allowed to post anywhere in the forum (e.g. banned members).

License

Quick New Topic Button is released under the MIT License. A full copy of this license is included in the package file.

Changelog

Version 1.3:
  • Added Turkish translation

Version 1.2:
  • Fixes undefined index error when viewing new member theme options

Version 1.1:
  • Added Latin Spanish translation

Version 1.0:
  • Initial release
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Pipke

good job havent test it, this was on my project, still weird this isnt default/core on smf2.1
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

Arantor

I love the idea but I can see hw this really shouldn't be core because it can really encourage people to post things in the wrong place without even trying, especially on bigger forums like this one with hundreds of boards.

Seyit replikacep.com

they did not accept as I did before

I already did the same.   i did it before you
https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4201

http://www.smf.gen.tr/smf/index.php?topic=2623.0

they did not approve without reason.

no one does not help because of tiny things did not approve

they didn't help me
because they're already removed from the checklist

Arantor

Odds are you were advised and that the advice given was too difficult to implement, based on previous history where I've given up trying to help you.

Seyit replikacep.com

Quote from: Arantor on April 10, 2019, 01:36:15 PM
Odds are you were advised and that the advice given was too difficult to implement, based on previous history where I've given up trying to help you.

If you add this type, unfortunately you did not say I would accept.

Anyway, I'm not sharing it anymore, and I'm just doing it for myself.

GigaWatt

Quote from: Arantor on April 10, 2019, 09:01:55 AM
I love the idea but I can see hw this really shouldn't be core because it can really encourage people to post things in the wrong place without even trying, especially on bigger forums like this one with hundreds of boards.

Mhm, fair point.

Though, as you said, like the concept ;).

@Replikacep: That image you attached, that's part of a private conversation between you and the SMF staff and that is not meant for the public. Don't actually know what the team policy is on this, but personally, I'm against this. Private messages are called private for a reason!
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Seyit replikacep.com

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=564509.0

Anyway, there's nothing to prolong.

I'm going to share what I do now only smf.gen.tr in this direction. Smf.gen.tr 
I will only share on this site

-Rock Lee-

Good job and thank you very much for taking the time @Sesquipedalian. I leave the translation to Latin Spanish as usual :P.

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Rock Lee on April 10, 2019, 02:19:54 PM
Good job and thank you very much for taking the time @Sesquipedalian. I leave the translation to Latin Spanish as usual :P.

Thanks! I've added your translation to version 1.1. :)

I can see hw this really shouldn't be core because it can really encourage people to post things in the wrong place without even trying, especially on bigger forums like this one with hundreds of boards.

Exactly.

Quote from: Replikacep on April 10, 2019, 01:19:02 PM
* complaints about failing the mod approval process, etc. *

I'm not sure what to tell you, man.

I love the idea
Quote from: Pipke on April 10, 2019, 09:01:06 AM
good job havent test it, this was on my project
Quote from: GigaWatt on April 10, 2019, 01:53:15 PM
like the concept
Quote from: Study Force on April 10, 2019, 03:46:08 PM
Like it!

Glad to hear it, folks. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Shades.

Just tested this on 2.1RC4 and get this error when clicking on "New Topic":

QuoteType of error
Undefined_vars
Error message
8: Undefined index: current_board
File
/home2/*****/public_html/*****/Sources/Class-SimTopics.php
Line
URL of page causing the error
https://*****/index.php?action=post

Backtrace information
#0: smf_error_handler()
Called from /home2/*****/public_html/*****/Sources/Class-SimTopics.php on line 85
#1: menuButtons()
Called from /home2/*****/public_html/*****/Sources/Subs.php on line 5149
#2: call_integration_hook()
Called from /home2/*****/public_html/*****/Sources/Subs.php on line 4890
#3: setupMenuContext()
Called from /home2/*****/public_html/*****/Sources/Subs.php on line 3703
#4: setupThemeContext()
Called from /home2/*****/public_html/*****/Sources/Subs.php on line 3860
#5: template_header()
Called from /home2/*****/public_html/*****/Sources/Subs.php on line 3483
#6: obExit()
Called from /home2/*****/public_html/*****/index.php on line 190
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Sesquipedalian

That's a bug in whatever mod supplied the Class-SimTopics.php file. It is assuming that there is always already a board selected when the user goes to the post editor. That was true in 2.0, but it is not in 2.1. That mod's author needs to update it to account for this difference in 2.1.

Note that the Quick New Topic Button mod didn't create this change in functionality. It just adds some UI to make the changed functionality more accessible. You can accomplish the same thing simply by typing "http://url.of.forum/index.php?action=post" directly into the browser address bar.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Shades.

I'll have to look at this later but wonder if that would be the similar topics mod? So maybe these two mods are not compatible?
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Arantor

It's not an incompatibility, it's a straight-up bug in the similar topics mod. Other mods will likely trip it up too.

gevv

Hi,

@Sesquipedalian  There is incompatibility with SMF Post Prefix

Prefix selection section not showing.

Is there a solution.

Thanks
ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

Kindred

That would actually be on the post prefix author, IMO  - since this mod kicks off the new-post dialogue and it sound slike the post-prefix dialogue is being triggered by something else.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

More of a fundamental question: if prefixes are per board, and this takes you to the posting page without being in a board, what prefixes should it offer you?

Sesquipedalian

Kindred and Arantor are completely correct. The SMF Post Prefix mod needs to be updated in order to work properly with SMF 2.1 itself.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Diego Andrés

It does work, it's just what arantor says, mod works per board prefix

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Advertisement: