News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Cant post on new forum because of syntax error

Started by Vordewindt, April 12, 2019, 12:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vordewindt

Hei there,

I installed a new SMF forum and copied partial DB information from the old SMF forum, like the memberlist, but not the threads and posts.
Now when I try to make a post, I get an error which says:

syntax error, unexpected ''bbc_' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE), expecting ']'

Also see image:

There is no reference to any file where the error occurred, or a db table, so I'm not sure how to fix this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Sir Osis of Liver

You can't just copy data from one database to another, many of the tables are linked, and things will go badly if the links are broken.  Also looks like you have code errors, are you running a clean install?

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Vordewindt

I did implement some plugins, yes, so might not be a complete clean install anymore.
Also looked in the error logs and they give me this for every time I try to make a post:

http:// domain /index.php?action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog;desc;filter=error_type;value=undefined_vars
8192: Function create_function() is deprecated
File: /mnt/web118/c1/11/53934411/htdocs/ domain /Sources/Subs.php
Line: 1221

That's for a number of 10 different lines or so in the same file.
You think it's because I copied only parts of the db? Could it be fixed manually, or just nah?

Reason I copied only parts of the DB was because I had trouble loading it up to the new DB, saying it was to big :/

Thanks in advance!

vbgamer45

For create function issue make sure you are on PHP 7.1  PHP 7.2 not yet supported.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Vordewindt

I'm on PHP 7.3 I think.

I'll try to change to 7.1 and see what happens.

Kindred

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 12, 2019, 12:46:41 AM
You can't just copy data from one database to another, many of the tables are linked, and things will go badly if the links are broken.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

2.0.15 does not support php 7.2 or higher, it should run fine in 7.1 (I'm still using 5.6).  Some mods will have problems with 7.1 if they haven't been updated. 

If your database is too large to import with phpmyadmin, and you don't have a working restore utility in cpanel, you can use a third party app like MySQLDumper or BigDump to do the import.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Vordewindt

Well.. did another test where I copied the entire DB, 5 tables at a time, to another DB, then did upload a clean SMF installation to a sub-domain and did see how it worked. It worked.. but when I uploaded the SimplePortal plugin, the entire forum crashed.

The old forum has already some issues, like the SimplePortal not showing up in the admin menu, while the components still work properly. Think some stuff in the DB is wrong, but don't know what.

Anyway, I told the guy I do the forums for that we're going with a 100% empty new SMF installation and a clean DB. That solves all the issues (and I moved to PHP 7.1 now)

Thanks for the replies!

Advertisement: