Importing Database Backup Error

Started by Yellowrose, April 12, 2019, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellowrose

Installed 2.0.15 last night and had no issues. went to install the database backup I have it's older from 2014 because site has been offline. now I get this error and would like to know how to fix it. Of course after I get this error the import quits.

Kindred

what version was the backed up database?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yellowrose

I'm not sure where would I look to find it?

this is what appears at the top of the database when opening openoffice using CRLF and read only

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 4.1.8
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: localhost
-- Generation Time: Apr 10, 2014 at 09:43 PM
-- Server version: 5.5.36-cll
-- PHP Version: 5.4.23

Yellowrose

Just checked the folder the database backup is in and there is an smf upgrade for version 2.0.10 so the board most likely had been upgraded to that version of smf. I kept the sites at least updated as best I could before they went down.

Kindred

well, confirm that your database has the attachmentType column in the attachments table?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yellowrose

GigaWatt

Import the backup in an empty database, upload the 2.0.10 large upgrade package in an empty directory, run repair_settings.php in that directory, set everything you need to set (database credentials, paths, etc.), afterwards, you can run upgrade.php. If everything goes without a glitch, see if the forum is working. If it is, upload the large upgrade pack for 2.0.15 (if prompted for file overwrite, do it) and run upgrade.php. If everything goes without a glitch, see if the forum is running. If it is, check your PHP version (you can do this with dropping a phpinfo.php file into your forum's root directory and executing it, the code this file has is pretty simple, you can Google for it ;)). If your PHP version is 5.6, change your PHP version in cPanel to 7.1 (7.2 and 7.3 are still not supported by 2.0.x). Check if the forum is running as it should (log in, out, post something, use a test user, check error log, ect.). If everything seems OK, you're probably good to go :).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Yellowrose

new problem now.

followed instructions so far to this point. Set directory permissions to 775 and file permissions to 666 and this is what I'm getting. I am so frustrated right now I could blow a gasket.

Sir Osis of Liver

Permissions should be 755/644.  Is the file there?  What's in it?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Yellowrose

yes at one point on the repair_settings I even set it's permissions to 777 and still getting the same error so I deleted the file shut down everything cleaned all my cache started up ftp again reloaded a fresh repair_settings file set permissions again and still getting the same error it's frustrating me to no end

Sir Osis of Liver

Not sure what you're doing, but it's not necessary to run upgrade.php if you're upgrading a 2.0.10 database to 2.0.15, there were no db changes from .10 to .15.  You should be able to connect a clean 2.0.15 install to the db if it actually is at 2.0.10 and undamaged.  You can edit the db settings manually in Settings.php.

- R. Waters

Yellowrose

I tried that already the screens attached to the first few posts show the errors I got so I followed Gigawatt's instructions added a fresh empty database imported the backup I have to use uploaded the large 2.0.10 upgrade then her said run repair settings and then I got the error in the last screen posted. I haven't even tried to run upgrade.php yet. for the install need the repair settings first.

Sir Osis of Liver

If Settings.php is 644 it should be writeable.  777 is not allowed on some servers for security reasons.  You can manually edit any of the settings in the file, but it shouldn't be necessary.  Are you at php 5.6 or 7.1?  Do you have the current version of repair_settings.php?

- R. Waters

Yellowrose

I'm not sure that's what I forgot to do was run a phpinfo file.... it;s most likely an older version of 5.6 this site has been offline for 3 years. it was on a .net domain and I'm now using a .org domain. so settings do need to be changed both in the setting file and in the database itself.

Yellowrose

ok the set version was 5.6 it's now set to 7.1 let me see what happens now

Sir Osis of Liver

It should work in php 5.6, I have all my forums and test installs running in 5.6.  I helped a forum a month or so ago that had problems with repair_settings because he had an outdated version.  Try the attached.

- R. Waters

Yellowrose

I think I see the problem going blind in my old age. the upgrade package doesn't have a settings.php file so there is no file to repair.

so now I'm back to a starting from scratch again and hope I can get this site to see the database. last time I tried it's woulkdn't connect and I tried everything new database new import changing database user and database password still got an error.going to try one more time if it doesn't work I give up

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 12, 2019, 11:43:44 PM
Is the file there?

That's the difference between the upgrade and install packages, upgrade doesn't include Settings.php so you don't overwrite your settings with an empty file.  Install package contains a scratch Settings.php.  You'll have to run repair_settings twice, once to enter db settings, then again to fix paths.

- R. Waters

Yellowrose

Some settings are not being shown because the database connection information is incorrect.
Check your database login details, table prefix and that the database actually contains your SMF tables.

I totally give up this is not working and I have 2 different databases I can use and it fails to connect to either one. I'm just done.

Yellowrose

thanks a bunch for trying to help though I do appreciate it the frustration level is just to high time to walk away for a while and try again in a few days.

Advertisement: