News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Importing Database Backup Error

Started by Yellowrose, April 12, 2019, 04:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

If you can pm cpanel access, I'll have a look.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

GigaWatt

Quote from: Yellowrose on April 12, 2019, 11:38:04 PM
followed instructions so far to this point. Set directory permissions to 775 and file permissions to 666 and this is what I'm getting. I am so frustrated right now I could blow a gasket.

Quote from: Yellowrose on April 12, 2019, 11:47:17 PM
yes at one point on the repair_settings I even set it's permissions to 777 and still getting the same error...

Some hosts might actually deny access if permissions are not "tight enough".

Quote from: Yellowrose on April 13, 2019, 12:37:04 AM
I think I see the problem going blind in my old age. the upgrade package doesn't have a settings.php file so there is no file to repair.

Oh yeah, forgot about that ::)... told you to put the large upgrade package in a new directory and forgot to tell you to copy Settings.php from a backup in that directory ::). Sorry about that... wasn't intentional :-\.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Yellowrose

ok doing software upgrades today and got 3 of my sites successfully upgraded so figured I would revisit this to see what I could get done. I had to backup in import each of the database individually that went fine including the attachements database with no errors but when I try to access the site I now get this error. How do I fix it would deleting that attachment type column fix it or screw it up?

Yellowrose

lol getting old huh Gigawatt....I know that feeling been there done that already and I can confirm the mind is the first to go.....lol.....lol....thanks for your help though I did try it. now another error or two hurdle to get over and maybe I can start to enjoy my sites again once all these errors are settled.

Illori

that error usually means your database version and the files version are not the same. your database may be SMF 1.1.* and your files are SMF 2.0. you need to upgrade the database to match the files version.

Kindred

and you do that by running upgrade.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yellowrose

ok so upload the upgrade php and upgrade sql files to server again and run it again

Yellowrose

ok just to clarify what I had done before getting that error....a lot of the above was trying to restore old databases to an install of the newer smf version so of course it hung and gave errors so walked away from it for a few days as I was getting frustrated. Yesterday I started from scratch...went and downloaded from the archives a full install version of 2.0.10. uploaded all the files it installed fine and I got the notice in admin to upgrade the forum but wanted to wait till I had the database backup installed first. well ran the import and it said it went fine 100% complete so checked the site ...only I was member and there were no messages which told me the backup didn't import right so having the database I needed in the list of databases installed from when everything was restored a few weeks ago went and backed up each table individually and the imported them. Went to check the site to make sure messages and members were all showing and got that error so having installed 2.0.10 from a full install package which upgrade package should I use to upgrade the databases I'd like to be sure everything is there before doing the upgrade to 2.0.15 as I am having issues now the the 3 sites I did upgrade yesterday with smf cannot connect to the database errors. so needless to say frustration is setting in again. I have never since first installing smf in 2006 had so many problems with installs and upgrades as I have had this time around.

Kindred

You can not run 2.0.x code with a 1.1.x database.

If you did the install of 2.0.x -- then you have, essentially, a clean database with no data.
If you then drop all tables and import your 1.1.x database into the same location, then you MUST run upgrade.php (which needs the sql files)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yellowrose

well as far as the older vb conversion site, what I did was downloaded the older 1.1.21 full install added it to the server imported the needed database tables and I have the site running fine...I also got the main site running again with 1.1.21.

Which upgrade package should I use next...I guess because these are older versions I am unable to connect to the smf site for news etc so not getting a message on these 2 sites that the forum needs to be upgraded. If need  be I can upgrade to an early version of 2.0 first then go to 2.0.15 from there...at the moments these 2 sites are stable using php 5.6 with smf 1.1.21. My other 3 sites are also doing alright on 5.6 even though they are upgraded to 2.0.15. I don't mind doing the longer route to upgrade these last 2 sites if I know in the end after all the work I am not going to be hampered in progress by these mysql syntax errors that have been popping up.

And before anyone suggests I upgrade straight to 2.0.15 from 1.1.21 I tried that already earlier in the week and kept getting mysql syntax errors. so that's why I'm asking which of the lower 2.0 versions to try going with before the final 2.0.15 upgrade. would rather take it one step at a time rather then trying to skip up 4 steps and then find myself starting from scratch again.

Kindred

Since you now have two thread open regarding the same question, I am going to lock this one.  Support on your problem can continue in your other thread.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: