News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Script.js and Deprecation of Synchronous XMLHttpRequest

Started by drewactual, April 19, 2019, 03:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewactual

https://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/

Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end user's experience.

^while tracking on a quickreply quote failure, i ran across this.  it's actively causing some intermittent failures, I'm thinking, evidenced by a failure notice in the console... most often it is just the warning above, and in current version of chrome only (that i've tested it with- only the big four browsers are in my inventory).

there is some pretty heavy reading in the link above.  It's well over my head for the most part as i'm not familiar with XMLHttpRequests functions.... like an automatic transmission in one of my automobiles, it may as well be witchcraft and/or dark matter in there- i can make some parts of the 2.0 system dance as i can an internal combustion engine-  but not this..... and the unfortunate part is this is at the soul+wiring union of a forum like we have... one talent is no good without the other functioning, whether you're mummering enchantments for it's service (as i do) or if you know what makes it click (as i don't)...

Though it's years out from being totally sunset, and unless that function can be handed off to a supported one, this may be a chink in the 2.0 armor?

so the question is, can the heart of the posting function be rewound to support the new initiatives or.... has a fuse just been lit?

incidentally,  i've been seeing this for several weeks- not the error reported so much as simply trying to figure out why the quickreply quote was goofing every once in a while... i thought it was just a jquery conflict up until tonight.

i'd be happy to be wrong, here.  can someone assume the delight of telling me so?

edited to add:  i see it just as often if not more often with the smfpacks alerts package.... same thing.  while passing xmlhttprequests..

Advertisement: