Set forum to let users change own post content, but not when there is a reply

Started by richardwbb, April 20, 2019, 05:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardwbb

I would like to know how to set a SimpleMachines forum to let the user edit their post content for infinite time but not when someone else (or the users self), has posted a reply.

I believe this is possible but I wasn't able to figure it out.

Member permissions are set to Admin -> Boards and Topics -> Time in seconds how long a user may change topic 180 seconds. But this setting doesn't matter because I surpressed the forums notification of changed posts.

Member permissions are also set to Admin -> Boards an Topics -> Maximum time a post may be editted 0 because that is what I want.

Member permissions are set to Admin -> Members -> Permissions -> Forum members -> Standard board permissions -> Edit posts -> Own posts checked.

I think I'm overlooking something, please guide me.
If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Illori

richardwbb

If my post in this topic looks ambiguous to you, then I'm with Murphy's law and General Stupidity. In other words, trial and error.

Arantor

What's to elaborate? This is not something SMF can do out of the box and the only way to do it is to change the code which is more complex than it sounds.

GigaWatt

Quote from: richardwbb on April 20, 2019, 05:08:02 PM
I would like to know how to set a SimpleMachines forum to let the user edit their post content for infinite time but not when someone else (or the users self), has posted a reply.

You mean like, the last post in a topic can be edited by the user at any time, but, if a post is made after that by the user that last posted in the topic or any other user, all of the previous posts in the thread can't be edited by the users that made those posts?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

richardwbb

@Arantor, you are right it is just me, I would help where I can and product support are two different things. So my expectation wasn't justified.

Yeah GigaWatt, you are right, only the last post may be editted by the owner.

GigaWatt

Hmmm... that's a tough one. I presume the script would have to first search for the last post in the topic (this shouldn't be too hard, since all posts are sorted by date and post time by default) and then, a special permission set triggered on the last post in the topic.

I'm not a coder, I'm just thinking out loud... but I think that I'm mostly right in my assumptions about how this should be handled ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

richardwbb

I must say the source is quite readable. I do have customization, for example I was asked to use the postimage plugin also inside a pm. But with spring and summer, I'm not sure when I take a dive.

Advertisement: