Changing URL, Host, etc... save posts and users

Started by J_C, November 15, 2005, 12:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J_C

Hey folks!

So my board is in the midst of a major overhaul. We will be changing hosts, url, board name etc (including admins.  I'm the new guy).  I thought the best way to do this would be a fresh install on the new host site, and then to import the backend tables from a dump.   I wanted to double check to make see if these tables will include all posts and threads.   Do I need to create the forum categories in smf before updating the tables?

Any feedback you can provide would be great.  Thank you very much in advance!!!   :)

redone

Just move your site and import you mysql info via phpmyadmin if you have that feature.

Run repair_settings.php and you should be all set.

~redone

p.s The backup you have will contain your posts, forum categories etc.

J_C

Excellent!  Thank you very much!  Here's to hoping I have phpmyadmin  :D

redone

On a side note when you are changing hosts its always a good idea to either see or find out what control panel they will give you.

If you are running on a cpanel with your current host and your new host has either a custom panel or plesk then your in for a suprise. Also, moving from one cpanel host to another is easy and painless and you can do the move yourself.

Good luck in your move!

~redone

J_C

That's a very astute recommendation... Its for reasons such as this that we've decided to use the same host, but just a new account.  Thanks!   :)

Here's a brief follow up... Can I use this same process as described above to import data not from 1.0.5 to 1.0.5 but instead from 1.0.5 to 1.1RC1?

Oldiesmann

If you want to import 1.0.5 data to 1.1RC1, here's what you need to do:

1. Download the smf_1-1-rc1_upgrade package from the download page. Extract all the files to your computer then upload them to your server, along with Settings.php and any existing attachments/avatars from your board that you want to keep.
2. Import the database through phpMyAdmin.
3. Run repair_settings.php to fix any settings/paths
4. Run upgrade.php to upgrade your database to 1.1RC1

After that everything should work fine :)
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

J_C

Advertisement: