News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Unable to Recover Posts

Started by TheEngineer, April 21, 2019, 08:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEngineer

When attempting to get into my forum this morning I got an error regarding the smf_settings table. I went into my hosting panel and attempted to repair it. The repair said it completed. After that, my site came up, but there was an issue with the theme. I fixed that with the repair_settings.php file and I can get back into the forum now.

There are no posts showing up now. I attempted to run the recount maintenance job, but it just brings up a blank page. Before I break something and remove our data I wanted to ask for help here.

My site is at http://delreefclub.org

Thanks in advance!

Illori

since you dont allow guests to view anything we cant tell you much of what the current state is in. i would start with asking your host what happened and if they have a backup they can restore.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: TheEngineer on April 21, 2019, 08:07:14 AM
When attempting to get into my forum this morning I got an error regarding the smf_settings table. I went into my hosting panel and attempted to repair it. The repair said it completed. After that, my site came up, but there was an issue with the theme. I fixed that with the repair_settings.php file and I can get back into the forum now.

There are no posts showing up now. I attempted to run the recount maintenance job, but it just brings up a blank page. Before I break something and remove our data I wanted to ask for help here.

My site is at http://delreefclub.org

Thanks in advance!

What was the exact error message regarding the smf_settings table?

Can you check the the smf_messages table and see if the posts are still in there or is it empty?

TheEngineer

Quote from: Illori on April 21, 2019, 08:26:05 AM
since you dont allow guests to view anything we cant tell you much of what the current state is in. i would start with asking your host what happened and if they have a backup they can restore.
Guest access is now on. That should have been on before...

EDIT: Also, my host (HostGator) is pretty much useless. They do not backup anything and generally blame any and all issues on SMF software.

TheEngineer

Quote from: doug_ips on April 21, 2019, 08:35:40 AM
What was the exact error message regarding the smf_settings table?

Can you check the the smf_messages table and see if the posts are still in there or is it empty?
It said the smf_setting table crashed. I don't remember the exact wording, but it said crashed.

smf_messages still contains about 91,000 rows.

Illori

run the maintenance tasks to find the repair any errors and recount all forum totals and statistics.

you should also learn how to do your own backup's and do them frequently.

Doug Heffernan

First of all, if you have not made a backup of the database, make one now. And as mentioned above by Illori, you must make the backups yourself and do not rely on your host.

That being said, I opened your forum and the stats for topics and posts appear to be 0. When I clciked at the last post link, I got the guests not allowed message error. WHat happens if you click that link, does it take you to the post?

In your op you mentioned that you get a blank page error when trying to run the maintenance tools. Is there any error logged in the error log of the acp?

All one can do at this point is guess. If you can pm me access to your cpanel and forum admin I can take a look for you and see what is going on.

TheEngineer

Quote from: Illori on April 21, 2019, 09:26:50 AM
run the maintenance tasks to find the repair any errors and recount all forum totals and statistics.

you should also learn how to do your own backup's and do them frequently.
I've tried running the maintenance tasks. It brings up a blank screen.

I should do more frequent backups than I do. I have one, but it is over a year old.

TheEngineer

Quote from: doug_ips on April 21, 2019, 10:00:27 AM
First of all, if you have not made a backup of the database, make one now. And as mentioned above by Illori, you must make the backups yourself and do not rely on your host.

That being said, I opened your forum and the stats for topics and posts appear to be 0. When I clciked at the last post link, I got the guests not allowed message error. WHat happens if you click that link, does it take you to the post?

In your op you mentioned that you get a blank page error when trying to run the maintenance tools. Is there any error logged in the error log of the acp?

All one can do at this point is guess. If you can pm me access to your cpanel and forum admin I can take a look for you and see what is going on.
Thanks. I just pulled down a backup of the database. The site is way too large (over 10gb) for me to pull down right a full backup right now. I'm limited to a tethered connection from my phone at the moment.

If I click those links it comes back with this error:
An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.

I do not see any errors in the log in the acp.

I'll shoot you a PM, thanks for the offer.

TheEngineer

Found an error in the cPanel log when trying to run the repair task:

[Sun Apr 21 10:05:34.781625 2019] [:error] [pid 838578:tid 139987269969664] [client 166.137.244.28:0] Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7602176 bytes) in /home2/delreef/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php(2214) : eval()'d code on line 2045, referer: http://delreefclub.org/smf/index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=routine;b3f9cba=c3c5e513e97af8918e3588e6c2984e10

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: TheEngineer on April 21, 2019, 11:08:09 AM
Found an error in the cPanel log when trying to run the repair task:

[Sun Apr 21 10:05:34.781625 2019] [:error] [pid 838578:tid 139987269969664] [client 166.137.244.28:0] Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7602176 bytes) in /home2/delreef/public_html/smf/Sources/Load.php(2214) : eval()'d code on line 2045, referer: http://delreefclub.org/smf/index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=routine;b3f9cba=c3c5e513e97af8918e3588e6c2984e10

This is server related.

Anyways, I had a look at the database and I found a lot of strange things such as missing columns especially from the smf_settings table. Another strange thing that I fond was that the smf_log_action table in your database belonged to the 1.1.x version. (Please see the attachment below) I dropped it and recreated for the 2.0x version. The upgrade to the 2.0. was not done properly too.

Your posts and topics are present in the database. Running the Find and repair any errors throws indeed a blank page error which, checking the error log, seems to be related to that not enough space error message you posted.

Personally I think that the best way would be to write a custom mod that will recount/rebuild all posts and topics and hope that that will fix the issue about them not being displayed.

Also the mod security is enabled in your host. Personally I think it is best if it was turned off.

TheEngineer

Thanks for all of your help doug_ips.

Would it be better at this point for me to pull down a few of the key tables and then just start over? If I can recover just the posts, I don't mind if we lose likes and things such as that.

TheEngineer

My host has a backup for the site from 4/18. We will lose a couple days of posts, but it was a quiet week due to the holidays.

Hopefully the restore will get us back up and running. I'll post back either way.

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: TheEngineer on April 22, 2019, 08:45:46 AM
My host has a backup for the site from 4/18. We will lose a couple days of posts, but it was a quiet week due to the holidays.

Hopefully the restore will get us back up and running. I'll post back either way.

That would be better imo. Also, from now make your own backups as well.

TheEngineer

Quote from: doug_ips on April 22, 2019, 09:48:24 AM
Quote from: TheEngineer on April 22, 2019, 08:45:46 AM

That would be better imo. Also, from now make your own backups as well.
I'm going to pull down a full backup right after they get us back up. I'm also going to do a clean install and move everything over to it. This one clearly has issues.

The first attempt from them came up that that settings table was missing. I asked them to try again.

Kindred

Since you now have two thread open regarding the same question, I am going to lock this one.  Support on your problem can continue in your other thread.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: