News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Restore Into New Build

Started by TheEngineer, April 22, 2019, 12:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEngineer

My forum crashed over the weekend (https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=567344.0). I tried getting my host to revert us to a backup, but their backups apparently don't have all of the tables in them.

I just did a clean install of SMF onto the same server. I hoped I could pull down an export of the old site and then import it into the new one. When importing I get just a generic phpMyAdmin Error red bar with no information in it. I'm guessing I'm missing something... I just want to recover my posts, users and attachments. I can redo the pages and reinstall the mods we had.

Doug Heffernan

For restoring/backing up medium/large databases phpmyadmin is not the best tool to do it. That is because most hosts have restrictions on file sizes for phpmyadmins. Imo it is better to use other tools, such as bigdump for import or mysqldumper for both import and export.

Kindred

if your database is missing tables, then you are just plain out of luck.

Seriously... you can't restore just some tables, because there are interactions and links BETWEEN various tables.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Thought you looked familiar.  Believe I did some work on your forum quite some time ago, can't find any notes.  Anyway, it's remotely possible to rebuild a database that's missing tables, depending on which tables are missing.  I've done it once on a large db that was purchased from a free host, and was missing a dozen tables.  I know others here have done it.  Not too difficult to replace settings table, have done that couple of times.  Would need access to your cpanel to see what you have.  If you want assistance, pm me here.  Will have time to work on it tonight.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 22, 2019, 03:50:37 PM
I've done it once on a large db that was purchased from a free host, and was missing a dozen tables. 

Really? Wow lol.

TheEngineer

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 22, 2019, 03:50:37 PM
Thought you looked familiar.  Believe I did some work on your forum quite some time ago, can't find any notes.  Anyway, it's remotely possible to rebuild a database that's missing tables, depending on which tables are missing.  I've done it once on a large db that was purchased from a free host, and was missing a dozen tables.  I know others here have done it.  Not too difficult to replace settings table, have done that couple of times.  Would need access to your cpanel to see what you have.  If you want assistance, pm me here.  Will have time to work on it tonight.

You sure did! You helped me with the UTF-8 conversion from you know where...

TheEngineer

My site is officially back up and running! It wasn't fun, but it worked.

I tried having the site restored by the host. Their restore points did not include the whole database, which is odd. I had them put it back to where I was this morning.

I installed a brand new SMF instance on my server. I manually, one by one, copied the tables from my crashed instance over to the new one. I ran the maintenance routine and voila! My site is mostly back up and running. I had to manually move the attachments over to the new install as well, but that wasn't a big deal to do within the server itself. Finally, I'm reinstalling my mods and we should be back to good.

The only thing that I have found to be missing are the thread view counts and PMs

TheEngineer

Anyone know what table PMs are in?

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: TheEngineer on April 22, 2019, 05:23:01 PM

smf_personal_messages and smf_pm_recipients where all the pm info is stored. You have also the  smf_pm_rules table.

TheEngineer

Quote from: doug_ips on April 22, 2019, 05:42:34 PM

smf_personal_messages and smf_pm_recipients where all the pm info is stored. You have also the  smf_pm_rules table.
Both tables are empty :(

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: TheEngineer on April 22, 2019, 07:53:38 PM
Quote from: doug_ips on April 22, 2019, 05:42:34 PM

Both tables are empty :(

That means that all pm content is gone.

TheEngineer

Quote from: doug_ips on April 23, 2019, 08:31:19 AM
That means that all pm content is gone.

I had a feeling. That stinks, but ultimately this is largely great news for us. I pulled down a backup and I'll get into the regular habit of doing that. We're going to move to a new host that does it for us more reliably.

Advertisement: