News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Thousands of same error message

Started by MaryLouW, April 22, 2019, 02:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryLouW

I"m not sure what's happening, but I am getting error messages like crazy. There were over 16,000 pages a few days ago.  I delete them but they just keep coming.  I have no idea what is causing it.  The line numbers are many.  I am attaching just one because they are all alike except for the line number.

Hopefully, someone can help?   Everything seems to be working okay other than that.

Shambles

Quote from: MaryLouW on April 22, 2019, 02:13:55 PMI have no idea what is causing it.

It's been reported very many times in this forum  ::)

Lower your version of PHP to below 7.2, or ask your host to do it.

MaryLouW

I just now talked with my provider and they said they cannot revert back to an earlier version.  I guess that means I'm stuck with the error messages until SMF comes out with an upgrade to the software.

Kindred

your host refuses to run even php 7.1 and is forcing you to 7.2?

Terrible host....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

I agree!  I've been with them for 11 years and have never had this problem.  Guess about all I can do now is keep deleting the error messages until a new version of SMF comes out.

Kindred

7.2 support in the 2.0 line is possibly a long ways off...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

I don't seem to have any options other than to just keep deleting the error messages.  I don't know what else I can do.  :'(

SychO

You can disable error logging from Configuration > Security > Error logging
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

MaryLouW

Hmmm...  that might be an option...  but what happens if I have a real error?

Shambles

Quote from: MaryLouW on April 22, 2019, 02:56:18 PM
I just now talked with my provider and they said they cannot revert back to an earlier version. 

You need to take a tough stance on this.

Did they prewarn you they were forcing PHP upversioning on you?

If not let them know, in no uncertain terms, that their unsolicited regrading of your infrastructure is adversely affecting your ability to provide a service to your clients.

I never stand for ****** like this. I pay my host's wages and they know it.

SychO

Quote from: MaryLouW on April 22, 2019, 03:15:55 PM
Hmmm...  that might be an option...  but what happens if I have a real error?

Well the way I see it even if you do get a real error, considering your error log would be flooded, I'm not sure you'll be able to see that real error anyway :/
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

br360

You can also try installing the mod found here- https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=559573.msg3972972#msg3972972

Just make sure to uninstall it if your host does take you down to 7.1 or a new SMF patch does come out that is compatible with 7.2 as the patch will most likely not install cleanly with that mod installed

Sir Osis of Liver

Hey MaryLou, good to see you again.  Your forum appears to be running normally, other than the errors is anything not working?  You should consider changing hosts (believe I've suggested this before).  I'll be on a while tonight (NY time) if you need further assistance.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MaryLouW

Ahhh... there's my hero!   Everything else is running perfectly.  As for changing hosts, that's not an option for me.  I host 3 other sites on my space and trying to move all of that as well as the forum and everything else is far more work than I want to handle.

I think turning off the error messages might be a good idea but I couldn't find anywhere to do that! You have admin status so if you have time, maybe you can come check it out.  That's always appreciated.  :)

Arantor

Quote from: Kindred on April 22, 2019, 03:07:27 PM
7.2 support in the 2.0 line is possibly a long ways off...

Complete and proper support in 2.0 is actually impossible for anything except the core software, mods will need updating.

MaryLouW

Quote from: Shambles on April 22, 2019, 03:20:44 PM
You need to take a tough stance on this.

Did they prewarn you they were forcing PHP upversioning on you?

If not let them know, in no uncertain terms, that their unsolicited regrading of your infrastructure is adversely affecting your ability to provide a service to your clients.

I never stand for ****** like this. I pay my host's wages and they know it.

Well, sometimes, we just don't have a choice.  They could just as easily terminate my service, then where would I be?  They did not pre-warn me that I can recall and even if they did, I probably would not have understood what that mean for my forum.  Sometimes, we just learn to live with what we have.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can disable error logging in Admin -> Server Settings -> Security.  You could also reduce log pruning to something like 5 days, you currently have it set for 15 days - Admin -> Logs -> Log Pruning.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MaryLouW

Oh, I think I like the second option best.  That way I don't have to keep checking it and if there is a real problem the error list will still be there.   Thanks a million for the suggestion!!   :D  I KNEW I would get a solution to the problem if I posted it here!  You all are just GREAT!! :) :)

SpacePhoenix

The OP's host might have done the server upgrade to 7.2 based on 7.1 being security support only and will go EOL at the start of December. @MaryLouW what PHP version was in use before the PHP version upgrade?

MaryLouW

It was 5.6  at least that's what  I think it was based on the email they sent me.

Advertisement: