News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

createPost question

Started by Biology Forums, April 23, 2019, 09:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Using the function createPost, when assigning a member to a topic that's being created, how do you make it so that the member gets notifications of replies? I can't seem to find it in the documentation outlined here: https://support.simplemachines.org/function_db/index.php?action=view_function;id=323

Suki

You won't be able to do it with that function, creating a post and get notifications for it are treated separately. The user needs to explicitly opt-in to get notifications.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Suki on April 23, 2019, 11:07:02 PM
You won't be able to do it with that function, creating a post and get notifications for it are treated separately. The user needs to explicitly opt-in to get notifications.

There isn't another function designed that opts them in automatically?

Arantor

No because it is unethical and if in Europe, potentially illegal.

Biology Forums

A simple "no" would suffice.

Arantor

I considered it a reasonable expectation that you would challenge a simple no because you generally have the expectation (not unreasonably) of having detailed and thorough answers.

Shambles

While I agree with the notion that notifications should only ever be opt-in for all members, my "birthday topic" auto poster automatically subscribes the birthday boy/girl to that topic, such that he (or she) receives an email at the first reply.

I use a simple insertion into {smf_}log_notify to achieve it.

Kindred

and doing that would actually be illegal in the EU...  and is actually even questionable by CANSPAM standards.

(I know *I* would be annoyed, since I purposefully turn OFF all email post notifications on every forum I have ever joined - if an admin forced me to receive and email about posts I might be annoyed enough to report the site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: