• Welcome to Simple Machines Community Forum. Please login or sign up.
December 04, 2021, 12:26:36 AM

News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.


User log in issues

Started by russguaj, April 24, 2019, 10:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russguaj

Hello, I have a forum I inherited admin responsibility of as club president and have no experience or real understanding of how this stuff actually works.  That being said, here is the problem I'm having.  I tried to upgrade a few things a few weeks back and crashed the site.  I tried to have the index.php file repaired and restored and that didn't fix it, so I had GoDaddy restore the site to before I screwed it up.  They also went through a removed malware and set up my SSL, but in that process removed something I'm pretty sure I need.

What's happening now is constant log in problems for the forum users, and then if it will let you in it changes user log ins from board to board.  I can log in usually, and then when I go to a board I see someone else's profile. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! 

GigaWatt

Quote from: russguaj on April 24, 2019, 10:12:22 PM
I tried to upgrade a few things a few weeks back and crashed the site.  I tried to have the index.php file repaired and restored and that didn't fix it, so I had GoDaddy restore the site to before I screwed it up.  They also went through a removed malware and set up my SSL, but in that process removed something I'm pretty sure I need.

This is your biggest problem. I would switch hosts ASAP.

Quote from: russguaj on April 24, 2019, 10:12:22 PM
What's happening now is constant log in problems for the forum users, and then if it will let you in it changes user log ins from board to board.  I can log in usually, and then when I go to a board I see someone else's profile.

I seem to recall someone else also having this issue, but I can't remember if it was ever resolved or if the user was also on GoDaddy :-\.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

GoDaddy. :P

That sounds like a caching problem (Varnish?).  Ask them to disable server caching.
"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley." - Robert Burns

GigaWatt

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on April 24, 2019, 10:46:49 PM
That sounds like a caching problem (Varnish?).  Ask them to disable server caching.

If GoDaddy tech support even knows what that is ::).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

The sad thing is, GD brings a lot of people to SMF, it's at the top of their cpanel (or was until recently).  Then they trash the forums and blame the software.  And they've been doing this for years.
"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley." - Robert Burns

Advertisement: