News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Log out - Authentication Errors

Started by carbar57, April 27, 2019, 07:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carbar57

Not sure if this is the right place to post this,
but I have a SMF forum 2.0.15 and I am getting
Authentication Errors when logging out. How can I fix.

Thanks
Carl

carbar57

Also Posts are disappearing too and if I reply to a post,
that can disappear, too.
Especially if I use Quote to reply.

drewactual

did you upgrade to 2.0.15 from prior releases or was it installed as 2.0.15? 
what level of caching are you using? (admin>configuration>server settings>cache)

carbar57

Upgraded from previous releases
Not sure about caching - never done anything with it
Very much a newbie when comes to a SMF forum

Kindred

it really sounds like your host has some sort of screwy setup.... maybe a varnish cache.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

carbar57

Might be a possible cause but what is a varnished cache

Had my hosting for nearly 6 years - never had a problem before - Only last 7 days
I want to rule out a SMF cause first before I go running off to my hosting support

I may have a setting wrong in SMF or I could do something in my forum
like Forum Maintenance>Routine>Empty the File Cache or maybe something else

Just trying to find out if its SMF or My Hosting that's the cause

Kindred

Well, I guess the biggest question is:

Did you change anything just before the problems started?

If not, ask your host if they changed something recently.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

carbar57

I installed a couple of mods but now uninstalled because didn't work
and added a couple of smileys - that's all

Kindred

The mods may not have installed/uninstalled fully

Did you try restoring a backup?
Слaва
Украинi

carbar57

Quote from: Kindred on April 29, 2019, 07:35:45 PM
The mods may not have installed/uninstalled fully

That's possible, how can I now uninstall them properly

Did you try restoring a backup?  -  No, haven't made a backup - stupid me

Kindred

Check with your host.  They might have a backup ,(mine keeps a month worth)
Слaва
Украинi

drewactual

something else you can try is to open the mod on your desktop, specifically the xml install file, and then navigate to the files where changes were made and manually revert them.  it's laborious, but a certain way to make certain those mod changes are no longer present. 

what permissions are on your cache directory in your forum's root directory?  this could easily be a sessions issue, too.  as in- not valid sessions. 

carbar57

Quote from: Kindred on April 29, 2019, 09:46:52 PM
Check with your host.  They might have a backup ,(mine keeps a month worth)
Unfortunately, they don't

Quote from: drewactual on April 29, 2019, 10:10:28 PM
what permissions are on your cache directory in your forum's root directory?  this could easily be a sessions issue, too.  as in- not valid sessions.

Permissions 7 7 7

drewactual

that's a little too loose... i'd go with 0750 or 0755 at the most... but that isn't your issue. 

other than some funky caching going on, the only other thing i would guess is sessions- what are you using to handle them? files or are you using memchaced or redis?

I encountered some issues as you are once, and it was because memcached failed (i use it for sessions). 

carbar57

Quote from: drewactual on April 30, 2019, 09:38:36 AM
that's a little too loose... i'd go with 0750 or 0755 at the most... but that isn't your issue.

Would you recommend I change to one of those numbers?  I know how to do that.

other than some funky caching going on, the only other thing i would guess is sessions- what are you using to handle them? files or are you using memchaced or redis?

I am not sure what you mean here or how I could find. I am not very technical.

I encountered some issues as you are once, and it was because memcached failed (i use it for sessions).

drewactual

can you provide a link to your site?  i don't need access, but I can look at the headers and see if the sessions are goofy... ain't no sense in barking up wrong tree..

carbar57

Quote from: drewactual on April 30, 2019, 10:11:49 AM
can you provide a link to your site?  i don't need access, but I can look at the headers and see if the sessions are goofy... ain't no sense in barking up wrong tree..

https://clownsforum.com/   

Just a little fun forum I've been running for 6 years to share with a few friends

drewactual

there are a lot of 403's on your page, and you'll be needing to change the call to google css to https which may not have anything to do with your issues, but it may play a role... also, the chat thing... that may be causing you issue as well.

carbar57

Quote from: drewactual on April 30, 2019, 12:23:11 PM
there are a lot of 403's on your page,

How do I fix that

and you'll be needing to change the call to google css to https which may not have anything to do with your issues, but it may play a role...

Ok which files do I need to edit and what to look for

also, the chat thing... that may be causing you issue as well.

Easy fix, I'll just delete it. It rarely gets used

carbar57

Could I get an answer here, please

Advertisement: