IPVOID - WHO'S ONLINE

Started by njtweb, April 15, 2019, 10:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

Has anybody successfully added this as an option to view where IP addresses are coming from?

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

njtweb

No, IPVOID matches the IP Address to a "closest match" location on Google Map by using latitude and longitude coordinates. Basically what INFOSNIPER makes you pay for. IPVOID is completely free.

https://www.ipvoid.com/ip-to-google-maps/

skb

I tried with my own IP address. It is not accurate. The city is correct, but the Google location is way off.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

vbgamer45

Yeah those things will never be 100%
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kindred

they are actually fairly pointless...   large companies like Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon in the US all serve from a datacenter...   and which datacenter can actually change, depending on when you connect and the network traffic...

For example, my home connection has showed my IP in Baltimore, Chicago and Boston at various times - none of which are correct. It gets even "worse" when you talk about mobile service connections.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

Quote from: Kindred on April 16, 2019, 10:08:47 AM
they are actually fairly pointless...   large companies like Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon in the US all serve from a datacenter...   and which datacenter can actually change, depending on when you connect and the network traffic...

For example, my home connection has showed my IP in Baltimore, Chicago and Boston at various times - none of which are correct. It gets even "worse" when you talk about mobile service connections.

100% accurate. I have a PITA "guest" who consistently ridicules other team owners and coaches. I'm fairly certain I know who he is based on some of the IP checks in INFOSNIPER. The city he is from is the same in Pennsylvania and Maryland. Sometimes INFOSNIPER registers the same city in Maryland and others it's Pennsylvania, but the Pennsylvania record is almost pinpoint accurate. I was able to make a very close address match with one of the team owners who has received threatening emails from him.

Arantor

It really isn't accurate, it's had my location out by 150 miles.

vbgamer45

Don't think it could ever be unless you are mobile and somehow/if it was allowed to report back your gps location.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Arantor

Or that my IP address is routed through a weird junction... but mobile definitely more likely to be wrong.

njtweb

Quote from: vbgamer45 on April 16, 2019, 06:22:01 PM
Don't think it could ever be unless you are mobile and somehow/if it was allowed to report back your gps location.

I don't know how it works but it does spit out GPS coordinates. Those too can be looked up. However since the majority of my traffic is on phones, a lot of the times I have them in different locations. Sometimes in the middle of the mountains, water etc.

Kindred

the location is associated with the server.

So, if you connect via a mobile device, it will read the IP location as being wherever the service provider's server is...
Same goes for in-home internet.
That's why I have appeared to be in cities which are not where I am.

For example...
directly from this site: https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/ip-address-location

Your IP Address can give fairly strong indications of where you are geographically located. There different databases available on the internet which contain this information in varying degrees of accuracy.

Your IP Address appears to be: xx.xx.xxx.xxx, and the result above (XXXXXXX, United States, Earth) comes from the MaxMind GeoIP database (free edition).

This may not be accurate if you are using a VPN or if your ISP or corporate network traffic sends your internet traffic from a different location. It is only meant as a guide.

This one is currently correct (as it happens, Comcast added a server farm in my town)
However, if I connect to my office's VPN, I don't appear in the town my office is located in -- I appear about 40 miles away from there... because that's where the server hardline connection is.   and, even with Comcast, I have appeared to be in a completely different state at times.

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/faq/location-detection-is-wrong
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: