News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mod files changed from .zip to .tar.gz

Started by Cloudmaster, May 01, 2019, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloudmaster

Hi all,

After a long hiatus I'm getting my SMF install up to date.  To 2.0.13 it's been easy, but from that point the mod files are packaged as .tar.gz.  My forum runs on Windows Server 2012, do I have to install some sort of decompression software to cope with this type of package?

FYI the error I get when trying to upgrade to 2.0.14 is -

You cannot download or install new packages because the Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!

Thanks for looking

drewactual

7zip is free... extract the zip file, and upload that.  windows and 7zip play nicely.

Cloudmaster

Quote from: drewactual on May 01, 2019, 03:23:10 PM
7zip is free... extract the zip file, and upload that.  windows and 7zip play nicely.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, updates that are packaged as .zip files work fine, but the last two updates (to 2.0.15) are packaged as .tar.gz files

Arantor

SMF is perfectly capable of unpacking .tar.gz files by itself in the package manager. It doesn't care that you're running on Windows, especially since a lot of it was developed on people using Windows on their local PC...

If you really have to unpack them manually, unzip them using 7-zip which is perfectly capable of opening .tar.gz files (it's what I've been using for years, especially after I found ways to break SMF's handling of .zip files)

Advertisement: