2.1.RC2 main page - no login link

Started by Vacman, May 04, 2019, 12:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vacman

So... there is a signup link, but no login link? Not sure what I'm to do here.

Arantor

It's not in that menu any more - it's in the top bar right at the top of the screen...

woolly bugger

Quote from: Arantor on May 04, 2019, 12:24:47 PM
It's not in that menu anymore - it's in the top bar right at the top of the screen...

it took me a while to see it

Vacman

Ah ok.... well that is certainly an odd place to put it WITHOUT also placing an icon link in the same area as the signup one.
Wondering if I can modify the code. I will look into it and report back.

I also have another question, but I will create a new topic for that.

Arantor

It's really not, actually. The area up top is for the user, the main menu is for the content, like on pretty much every other modern UI... (and there is a signup link up top too)

If you really have to, you could modify Subs.php to put the menu item back in.

slinke

I have had many users of my forum complain that they can no longer login after the upgrade. It is because they could not find that login link, which is sort of hidden in the line of text at the very top. After I point it out to them, they can login. I am not saying it is inappropriate for it to be there, but it is creating a lot of confusion for users and the need for support.

Arantor

I realise that for an established forum, change can be hard.

Though you should probably let several of the other forum manufacturers know because they're doing the exact same thing.

gevv

QuoteI have had many users of my forum complain that they can no longer login after the upgrade.

+1  I've had the same problem

a simple solution
add code index.css;

.welcome a {
display: inline-block;
text-transform: uppercase;
cursor: pointer;
border: 1px solid #ddd;
border-right: 1px solid #bbb;
border-bottom: 1px solid #aaa;
border-radius: 3px;
box-shadow: 1px 1px 1px rgba(0,0,0,0.1);
padding: 0 8px;
margin: 0 0 0 5px;
overflow: visible;
color: #3498db;
font-size: 0.8em;
line-height: 20px;
}

ElkArte is a modern, powerful community building forum software. https://www.elkarte.net/

Vacman

Close and the right idea.... but....
Take a look at my screen capture.

Arantor

The posted code doesn't reinstate it on the menu, it makes the header bar more obvious, and given that that's where the user menu is...

Also, I find it a bit sad that this change was made 5 years ago and only people are apparently trying it out. But I guess this is more evidence that my leaving the dev team was a good idea since it's just another thing I screwed up.

Sir Osis of Liver

Suppose I shouldn't bother, but having nothing much to do while waiting on a migration, I'll mention that very early on in 2.1 alpha I pointed out that the guest user bar in Curve 2 was difficult to see.  Anything across the top edge of a page can get lost in the browser chrome, especially for users who are unfamiliar with the theme and/or have poor vision.  A simple suggestion to add a spacer across the top to separate it from browser was roundly ignored, and here we are at RC2 with the same thing.  I'm pleased to see someone else has spoken up about it. :P
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

@rjen

Tip: make the #top_section permanently stick to the top of the screen and not let it dissappear of screen. Adapt the css as below and add the fixed position..

#top_section {
    position: fixed;
    width: 100%;
    z-index: 100;
    opacity: .95;
}

On another note: why so negative if people report that something that may have been change five years ago is now being tested?  The recent release of RC1 and RC2 has given the community a healthy boost ... of course people are reporting these things now that they are adopting 2.1. Let's be happy about that...
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Arantor

Why so negative? Spend months working on something and wait for every single thing you thought you'd achieved be told you did the wrong thing. This completes the list now.

Sir Osis of Liver

Oh, don't pout. :(  Feedback from users (and team members), positive and negative, is an important part of the development process, and should be accepted accordingly.  Remember what happened to Microsoft with Win 8?

And it hasn't been months, it's been years. ;)

- R. Waters

Arantor

Except none of the stuff I did has had positive commentary. Heck, even some of the later developers tore some of it up and rewrote it because it was 'that bad'. As for 'months', check the GitHub stats, it was a period of several months where I was working more than full time hours on SMF. And even now years later, it's being pointed out that I made the wrong choices.

Just once, just once in the last 5 years, I'd like to have believed I did something beneficial for the project, but that's just not the case, apparently.

I guess it's time I actually moved on.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on May 30, 2019, 05:14:31 PM
I'd like to have believed I did something beneficial for the project, but that's just not the case, apparently.

I don't think anyone who's been involved with SMF for any length of time would question your contributions to the project.  There will always be differences of opinion, and at some point decisions must be made to go one way or another. IMO, the decision making process here has sometimes been flawed (I'm being kind), and if it goes against you it can be frustrating, but the project has lurched forward despite the differences and questionable decisions, and SMF is still pretty good forumware.

I guess it's time I actually moved on.

If you could, you'd have done so long ago.

- R. Waters

Sesquipedalian

For my part, I greatly appreciate your contributions and hold your skills in high esteem, Arantor. Indeed, if I find myself working on a chunk of code in 2.1 that the logs show that you ever touched, I usually check out that version for a while and study it in order to get a sense of "here's how this code was supposed to work" before trying to fix or adjust whatever has been done since then.

As for the issue at hand, moving the login and register links to the top bar was exactly the right move.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Kindred

I agree... I have been moving the login links to the topbar on most of my sites for a while now.   It's the right location for it.

So, not something you did wrong, Arantor. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

A different point of view should not be construed as criticism, nor is it necessarily intended as such.  Besides, this is basically just a theme issue, nothing to do with underlying functionality.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: