News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Some avatars dissapeared

Started by dsanchez, May 04, 2019, 03:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsanchez

I am happy :) migration to 2.1.x went fine, but noticed some members lost their avatars. See this topic for instance:

http://curefans.com/index.php?topic=9033.0

those members without avatar had avatar before migration.

any advise?

GigaWatt

The upgrade script might have messed something up during the conversion, since the uploaded avatars are treated as attachments and the attachments are converted during the upgrade to have .dat extension (in 2.0.x they didn't have extensions).

If you still have a working copy of your 2.0.x forum, you might be able to get those attachments and reupload them in 2.1. But, the process will be manual, meaning, you'll have to do it for each one of the users with missing avatars :-\.

On the other hand, you could check your attachments directory and see if there are any files without extensions. If there are, that means that those files (attachments) didn't get converted. You could check their headers with some tool (TrID comes to mind) and add the file extensions based on the file header info. Then, maybe share the images on the forum and ask members to "pick their avatar from the pile" :P :D. I know, it's mostly the same as in the previous scenario, but at least you don't have to look through the database and check for filenames based on hashes :P ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

shawnb61

Are they in your custom_avatars folder?  Or did you use a different directory in 2.0?  I would first double-check everything in repair_settings.php to make sure folders look good. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

dsanchez

Hi, avatars are in custom_avatars but I see there are few files compared to the number of members we have. I suppose the faster way is just to ask the members to re-upload their avatars and if they don't find theirs, I have the backup of the original site in case I need to find a specific file. Thanks!

Advertisement: