News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Is there any way to reject a registration if the ICQ field is entered?

Started by Yikesfactor, May 06, 2019, 10:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yikesfactor

I'm getting odd spam at the moment, and it is always from a new registration which includes the ICQ field filled in.

phpBB used to have a mod which rejected the registration if any of the ICQ type fields were filled in.

Is there any such thing for SMF?

If not, what code where would reject the registration if anything at all is entered into the ICQ field?

(And no, none of my members use ICQ. Just spammers do.)
Version 2.0.15

Used phpBB before, new to SMF.

I know enough to be dangerous.
Breaking things is my specialty.

Kindred

No, there is no such mod.

There are about a dozen or so good anti spam registration mods though...  and the question feature is the best line of defense. I have no had a successful spambot in 3 years...  and only 2 live person spammers in that same time.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

You could just remove the field from registration, but it probably won't solve you're problem.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Yikesfactor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 07, 2019, 12:42:33 AM
You could just remove the field from registration, but it probably won't solve you're problem.

No it wouldn't. At the moment, its the highlight of all manually added spam. They all have an ICQ added, where no-one else does. It's almost like advertising the ICQ is half the motivation for the posts.

I'm assuming they are manual posts, as I am using 2 levels of security.
Version 2.0.15

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Yikesfactor

Quote from: Kindred on May 07, 2019, 01:16:28 AM
What do you consider "2 levels of security"?

The image letters, and entering a specific word.
Version 2.0.15

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

delta5

I run the stopforumspam.com scanner mod on two forums. So far no bots have registered successfully.

Yikesfactor

Anyone suggest some code to reject a registration completely based on anything entered into the ICQ field?
Version 2.0.15

Yikesfactor

Quote from: delta5 on May 07, 2019, 02:32:37 PM
I run the stopforumspam.com scanner mod on two forums. So far no bots have registered successfully.

It doesn't have 2.0.15 listed as compatible.

And the majority of mods I've tried which didn't say my version, didn't work or had bad side effects and had to be removed.
Version 2.0.15

Ronald_1938

I took stopspamforum out. I use the smf recaptcha, and seven (7) questions, set to ask two (2) questions. No mathematical questions neither.

Gary

Quote from: Yikesfactor on May 11, 2019, 01:56:12 AM
It doesn't have 2.0.15 listed as compatible.

Generally, as long as a mod says it's compatible with 2.0 or newer (but not 2.1), then should install just fine on 2.0.15. You may need to emulate the version using the "Advanced" link in Package Manager, but otherwise, it'll function as normal, assuming no errors because of other mods you've installed.

I personally don't get any spammers, or if I do, they're extremely rare, I have SMF's own CAPTCHA long-side three security questions.

Also, ICQ can be disabled entirely, in the Advanced Profile Fields. Could give that a shot.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Advertisement: