Author Topic: Old language files seems to make problems...  (Read 556 times)

Offline PoML

  • Semi-Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 39
Old language files seems to make problems...
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:25:28 PM »
I have a forum where there was installed Norwegian  and English language, both in normal and UTF8 versions before upgrade from 2.015 to 2.1.RC2
I have also installed the Norwegian RC2 language files on top, but I think SMF is confused on the old and new language files settings with UTF8 and latin1.

The symptoms are as follows:
* Attempt to set Norwegian language as default creates a need to set it back manually using repair-settings.php, with the forum not responding at all.
* Attempt to enter the edit languages admin menu give the same result.
* Attempt to enable user choice of language results in unavailable result for users that choose Norwegian.
* Setting all users and default language back to English seems to work OK, but the edit languages admin menu is still no possible to enter.

Error message: "This page isn’t working <site> is currently unable to handle this request. HTTP ERROR 500"

I presume I have to manually remove all old language settings.
Is there any hints on how to do that anywhere?
I presume I need to do some more things than just removing language files?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:41:06 PM by PoML »

Offline m4z

  • 98.8% chimp
  • Localizer
  • Sophist Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1,109
  • /mɛs/
Re: Old language files seems to make problems...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 03:02:08 AM »
I'm not an expert and can't find the info on this right now, but IIRC 2.1 recommends to only use the UTF8 files, or even supports only these.

You can delete a language via config -> languages -> edit languages -> click on language name or "edit", then the "delete" button (careful though, there's a small bug with the cancel button that shouldn't matter for you too much).

I don't know if deleting the language files from the file system is a smart idea, there might be leftovers of (the install status of) these languages in the database then.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Offline PoML

  • Semi-Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 39
Re: Old language files seems to make problems...
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:46:34 AM »
As maybe others thought this was solved -  as I stated, I cannot enter the admin language menu without the forum being unresponsive.
I think the problem actuallu has to do with the fact that language files previously was latin when nothing was added, while now NB-NO without UTF8 mentioned in the file names are UTF8.  Which means some leftovers are used as it they were UTF8.
What I don't see is why that should do more than giving some garbage characters somewhere.

Online RML

  • Semi-Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 77
Re: Old language files seems to make problems...
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
I think there is something wrong with the 2.1 language files, I had the same problem with Hungarian language, when I installed it the forum stoped working. It happend with the Beta 4, the RC1 and even with a clean install RC2 version.