php 5.6 is at EOL (end of life) so what is SMF 2.1.15 best superceeding version

Started by aegersz, May 27, 2019, 01:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

hello forumware gurus ...

is it cool to move to my CentOS 6.5 php 5.6 to 7.? and if so, what will break, if anything ? got lots of mods too.

7.0 ~ 7.2 or what is OK or should i sit on 5.6 for a lot longer, please ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

d3vcho

From https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Requirements_and_recommendations

Quote- Versions of SMF from 2.0.14 onwards require a version of PHP between 5.4 and 7.1. If you use PHP 5.3 or lower, it is necessary to use SMF 2.0.13 or lower. PHP 7.2 is not supported by SMF at this time.
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

Sir Osis of Liver

2.0.15 supports up to php 7.1, some mods may not.  My host gives me php 5.3 - 7.2, I'm running 5.6.  Support tells me 'Cloudlinux provides security updates to older versions of php'.  I'm good with that.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

SpacePhoenix

With 2.0.15 supporting upto 7.1 you're probably best going for 7.1 as 7.0 is also EOL

aegersz

since i'm very serious about my mods (despite no member actually giving a damn, (hey, ya get that ....)) i'm hangin' back at 5.6.

thanks for all your input as i was considering 7.2 and now i have been warned against that.

I wonder what happened to release 6 and all it's "pointy" versions? - I assume it's a bit like Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and other leaps of faith !

something not fully logical goin' on somewhere ...
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Arantor

PHP 6 was tried out, and went down a long road regarding Unicode support and was eventually abandoned.

aegersz

Thanks Arantor.

Now that makes a lot more sense and a bit of a pity too.

Arantor

Not really, given what it changed, it would have broken a lot of softwar.e

Advertisement: