How does Most Online Today count work?

Started by shnazzle, May 27, 2019, 07:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shnazzle

I have a total of 2 users on my system, yet it says "Most Online Today: 3". How does it count it?

Vanilla install of RC2 (with files from git clone on 26/05)
Ubuntu 18.04
Apache 2.4.29
PHP 7.2.17
MySQL  5.0.12

Arantor

Logged in users plus guests on the site over a given period (usually 15 minutes)

shnazzle

Quote from: Arantor on May 27, 2019, 07:55:51 AM
Logged in users plus guests on the site over a given period (usually 15 minutes)

Does "Guest" count as one user? Or will it count all guests from separate IPs?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

albertlast

While i'm seeing this,
please notice that your mysql version is very very very old.
Mysql 8.0 or similiar should be used when possible.

shnazzle

Quote from: albertlast on May 27, 2019, 12:12:47 PM
While i'm seeing this,
please notice that your mysql version is very very very old.
Mysql 8.0 or similiar should be used when possible.

Yeah I noticed that when I posted this :)
It's because of an Ansible script I ran recently that overwrote my mysql install.
Doesn't matter too much as I'm just using it to set the theme for the forum. I'm going to go live with RC3. So just getting ready

Arantor

Quote from: shnazzle on May 27, 2019, 08:40:51 AM
Quote from: Arantor on May 27, 2019, 07:55:51 AM

Does "Guest" count as one user? Or will it count all guests from separate IPs?

No, not quite.

When a user arrives that doesn't have a cookie, it creates a new session. If a subsequent request arrives from a different IP but with the same cookie, that's still one user.

Additionally, a user logging in will briefly be counted twice - because they're considered a guest before they submit and no longer a guest after but both can be counted since at that point it has no way to reliably know which was the previous session.

Advertisement: