News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Mobile Test In Chrome/FF Help Please?

Started by njtweb, May 31, 2019, 08:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

Can anybody test these two links in chrome on mobile phone?

I don't know if it's just chrome because the same thing happens in chrome and FF on a computer. My default "layout" image size is 670x500 but for some reason, no matter what image I wrap with image tags, the script is resizing the image tags after saving. Responsive stops working on forum posts on mobile and I get a horizontal scroll bar.

youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?topic=1188
youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?topic=1190

Thanks for any help

SychO

As far as I can tell it has to do with tinyportal's table display to make things responsive, table display is very tricky and doesn't always play nice, I'm not sure why they use it, but something somewhere doesn't like it.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

njtweb

Quote from: SychO on May 31, 2019, 08:45:33 AM
As far as I can tell it has to do with tinyportal's table display to make things responsive, table display is very tricky and doesn't always play nice, I'm not sure why they use it, but something somewhere doesn't like it.

Hi SychO - Tinyportal front page seems to work fine for me, it's when I click a topic and go to topic in the forum. The topics aren't scaling. And the images I've tagged in the topics are automatically being assigned height and width, which never happened before.

@rjen

I am afraid it is somehow related to the adds you are running: when I view the site on an narrow screen it initially seems fine, but when I start scrolling a banner pops up at the top and immediately the images are changing and flowing off screen...

QuoteAnd the images I've tagged in the topics are automatically being assigned height and width

what exactly do you mean bij that?
The adding of width and height to an image that itself exceeds the set "default" image size is standard SMF behaviour
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

SychO

Quote from: njtweb on May 31, 2019, 08:53:20 AM
Hi SychO - Tinyportal front page seems to work fine for me, it's when I click a topic and go to topic in the forum. The topics aren't scaling. And the images I've tagged in the topics are automatically being assigned height and width, which never happened before.

I didn't mean tinyportal front page, I meant the code it uses to make its blocks responsive, there's nothing wrong with images from what I can see, they have a max width of 100%, but with table display that probably does not matter, which is why it goes out of width limits

QuoteI am afraid it is somehow related to the adds you are running: when I view the site on an narrow screen it initially seems fine, but when I start scrolling a banner pops up at the top and immediately the images are changing and flowing off screen...

actually the ads generated respect the body width limit, the only reason they aren't in the topics with images is because that width is limit is not respected
Checkout My Themes:
-

njtweb

Quote from: @rjen on May 31, 2019, 09:12:35 AM
I am afraid it is somehow related to the adds you are running: when I view the site on an narrow screen it initially seems fine, but when I start scrolling a banner pops up at the top and immediately the images are changing and flowing off screen...

QuoteAnd the images I've tagged in the topics are automatically being assigned height and width

what exactly do you mean bij that?
The adding of width and height to an image that itself exceeds the set "default" image size is standard SMF behaviour

I scale down all of my images to meet the layout max for the theme and then upload all of them to my own host to tag when I create the topic. The [img] tag is changing to [img width=423 height=500] automatically adding width and height. Not sure why. Both of the Topic URLs I provided as example have images well below the layout limit.

njtweb

Quote from: SychO on May 31, 2019, 09:15:19 AM
Quote from: njtweb on May 31, 2019, 08:53:20 AM

I didn't mean tinyportal front page, I meant the code it uses to make its blocks responsive, there's nothing wrong with images from what I can see, they have a max width of 100%, but with table display that probably does not matter, which is why it goes out of width limits

QuoteI am afraid it is somehow related to the adds you are running: when I view the site on an narrow screen it initially seems fine, but when I start scrolling a banner pops up at the top and immediately the images are changing and flowing off screen...

actually the ads generated respect the body width limit, the only reason they aren't in the topics with images is because that width is limit is not respected

What does this mean specifically.

SychO

Quote from: njtweb on May 31, 2019, 09:33:02 AM
What does this mean specifically.

It means from what I can see, the problem isn't with the ads, I could be wrong ofc, @rjen might be on to something
Checkout My Themes:
-

@rjen

This topic is showing the exact same behaviour, and it does not even have images in the topic...

https://www.youthhockeyinfo.com/index.php?topic=1186.0

Actually, I do recall seeing something similar a while back, which was caused by the use of the quick reply box... would you mind deactivating that and check the topics again?

njtweb

Here is what I have found.

In Tinyportal I turned off all right panel blocks to show on "all boards and forum sections" and now everything works.

If I check those radio buttons again and turn back on, it goes back to unresponsive. That includes forum stats block and html/jquery blocks.

@rjen

Ok, now we are getting somewhere... I just noticed that it is working now, wanted to ask what you had changed...

njtweb

Quote from: @rjen on May 31, 2019, 09:51:00 AM
Ok, now we are getting somewhere... I just noticed that it is working now, wanted to ask what you had changed...

It's the same on board index. I had only the left column and 1 block active. Once I turned that column off, the board index goes back to responsive.

SychO

Quote from: njtweb on May 31, 2019, 09:49:00 AM
Here is what I have found.

In Tinyportal I turned off all right panel blocks to show on "all boards and forum sections" and now everything works.

If I check those radio buttons again and turn back on, it goes back to unresponsive. That includes forum stats block and html/jquery blocks.

it works because after disabling the right panel, the CSS for the table display is no longer used.
Checkout My Themes:
-

njtweb

So everybody is on the same page......

This does not happen with Tinyportal front page on mobile. That works fine. It only happens when I have the left or right blocks active on Forum index and forum topics.

@rjen

And it happens because the Quick reply box is somehow not being properly addressed in the css when both panels are on... just reproduced the same on my test form: when I set the quick reply box to not show, are show collapsed by default the disply is fine...

As soon as it opens it pushes the width of the page out...

Of course the quick reply box is only showing in topics, that's why all other pages should be fine: actually also the forum index should be fine...

njtweb

Quote from: @rjen on May 31, 2019, 10:00:28 AM
And it happens because the Quick reply box is somehow not being properly addressed in the css when both panels are on... just reproduced the same on my test form: when I set the quick reply box to not show, are show collapsed by default the disply is fine...

As soon as it opens it pushes the width of the page out...

Of course the quick reply box is only showing in topics, that's why all other pages should be fine: actually also the forum index should be fine...

I just turned the left column on and activated 1 html block. It goes wonky on forum index, it's fine on any board index and goes wonky again on an open topic.

njtweb

This is only happening in Chrome. FF doesn't seem to see any issue.

njtweb

I turned the left column back off. I have a ton of traffic today, a friend of my son who played hockey with him drowned on Wednesday night. :(

@rjen

Quick fix...

Edit responsive.css

find

@media screen and (min-width: 240px) and (max-width: 640px) {
/* Considering something trying to be bad boy and editing body (especially portals!) */
body {
min-width: 240px !important;
}

replace with

/* Quickfix voor Quickreply */
#quickReplyOptions
{
  max-width: 90vw;
  overflow: hidden;
}

@media screen and (min-width: 240px) and (max-width: 640px) {
/* Considering something trying to be bad boy and editing body (especially portals!) */
body {
min-width: 240px !important;
}

njtweb

Confirmed working with both left and right columns block codes added. I'm curious, what changed? I don't remember seeing this being an issue and I've had no complaints from my members or guests.

You're the best @rjen.

Advertisement: