News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Photos & document security.

Started by waris, July 31, 2019, 10:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waris

In Board permission, I found that SMF has the ability to send unauthorized members to the moon, should they try enter a Board they are not allowed to do so. I tried it and was immediately sent from the forum to Simple Machines instead.

Can the same be applied to Images and scan documents? I intend to upload a lot of old pictures of people, family and places for my Genealogy /family-forum and they are very much in demand by the families in the Family Tree . Pictures I upload to facebook had be downloaded or copied and pasted into a foto editor and then used in a very inappropriate manner. Some used them in their blogs so visitors will be impressed. I am not joking some idiot appropriate my mother's 1930 photo and used it as his avatar in Genie telling visitors as if he is descended from her!

What I had in mind is that a person can click on the photo to enlarge BUT if they click and try to download, copy, share or steal the picture or scan doc. they will be immediately transport to the Land of the Living Dead.

Can it be made an integral part of the new Simple machine upgrade. I will gladly pay for a Mod that can do that.

vbgamer45

There are some things you can do like anti copy paste scripts, disable print screen, disable printing. But if someone is determined they could still copy the screen in certain ways and or download the media item directly.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

waris

Those people who steal other peoples foto to impress visitors are usually people with no knowledge of programming with low self esteem. They only know how to copy, download or capture.

waris

SMF Gallery Pro. Does it work on 2.0.15?

Arantor

If it's in any way visible to users, it's already downloaded to their computer anyway. If you don't want that as a thing, don't put it online.

waris

Aranthor that is not a good advice, sorry.

We should have privacy and security in our own Forum.

There are things we want to share with selected members and not the whole world.

I know you are very knowledgeable and have been with Simple Machines forever.

I am only exploring the possibilities if it is at all possible to do so.

Arantor

It's not "advice", it's literally the truth. If they can see it, they can download its content because that's how the browser shows it in the first place.

If you'd care to rewrite literally how HTTP and browsers work, all browsers that is, you might achieve what you want. Other than that, if it is visible to users it is downloadable by definition since the browser has to download it to show it!

vbgamer45

Quote from: waris on July 31, 2019, 11:45:38 PM
SMF Gallery Pro. Does it work on 2.0.15?
Yes does work for SMF 2.0.x and will work for SMF 2.1.x as well.   I can add the basic anti copy/cut protections and disable printing/print screen. as an option.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

lurkalot

Like Arantor explained, if you can view it on the web then it can be stolen and used for whatever, you can't stop it completely. 

Even if you can't right click copy and paste, or add a transparent overlay so they download a empty image, then you'll find there's other ways to grab the image off the screen.  Screenshot, or take a photo of the screen with the camera on a mobile phone.

If it can be viewed, it can be stolen. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: lurkalot on August 01, 2019, 12:37:35 PM
If it can be viewed, it can be stolen. 
This. Sadly. This really applies to anything on the web, even stream-only videos. If you can see it, there's a way to acquire a copy of it.
The best protection, is to be selective of who and how can access in the first place.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: