News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Idea for Link Exchange Available Board

Started by ajac63, June 09, 2019, 08:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajac63

Just an idea for a 'Link Exchange Available Board' for SMF powered forums that would welcome link exchanging.  Forum admins could post an initial thread saying what type of forum they would exchange links with and then any interested members could either answer the post directly or contact the poster via PM.
Another SMF believer

GigaWatt

Exchange links ???... like in a "buddy forum" kind of a way ???... "I've got your forum's banner on my forum, you've got mine on yours" ???.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Shambles

skb

Having very low membership, I'm game for this too.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

Steve

And how do we monitor whether or not the links exchanged are SMF forums and family-friendly with the manpower we currently have?

Those might not be concerns for another forum but they have to be concerns here.
DO NOT pm me for support!

ajac63

Quote from: GigaWatt on June 10, 2019, 03:30:50 AM
Exchange links ???... like in a "buddy forum" kind of a way ???... "I've got your forum's banner on my forum, you've got mine on yours" ???.
I was thinking of a board on SMF for forum owners that want to exchange links with with other SMF powered forums.  The links themselves could either be in a forum's footer or in a separate board called 'Other SMF Powered forums' or 'Similar SMF Powered Forums', something like that anyway.
Thanks BTW for saying you've got a banner for my forum on your forum, but can't actually see it?  Can't see a banner for your forum on mine either?  Wasn't even aware we had exchanged banner links ;D

Quote from: Shambles on June 10, 2019, 03:41:59 AM
Not sure that would go down well here, on simplemachines.org.
SMF powered sites offering link exchanging with other SMF powered sites would be good promotion both for the forums and for SMF itself.  So why wouldn't that go down well here?

Quote from: skb on June 11, 2019, 01:37:04 AM
Having very low membership, I'm game for this too.
Thanks  :)  That was mainly why I thought of it, as an effort to increase memberships for SMF powered forums.

Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2019, 11:23:22 AM
And how do we monitor whether or not the links exchanged are SMF forums and family-friendly with the manpower we currently have?

Those might not be concerns for another forum but they have to be concerns here.

Because they would have the SMF copyright info in the footer. 
Another SMF believer

skb

Quote from: Steve on June 11, 2019, 11:23:22 AM

I'm willing to volunteer to check every link to ensure that.

SMF 2.1.4 / TP 2.2.2

LiroyvH

Ok, first of all. Please use the edit button, we have invented it for a reason. ;)
Secondly, thank you for your suggestion! :)
Thirdly, I have cleaned this topic up a bit. When you suggest an idea and want to know if it's OK to do, it's a bit strange to instantly start executing the idea without waiting for a response - in a topic that wasn't meant for it, in a board that is certainly not meant for it. (And this actually demonstrated to us that one of the concerns we had with this request is likely valid...) So some replies have been removed and/or altered, thank you for your understanding.

Now, to address the question at hand:
Sorry, we're at this time not going to do this for a variety of reasons. The most important reasons being we do not have the time nor manpower to moderate and validate this, and this type of thing usually often explodes in to (spam)chaos very quickly. Which we absolutely don't want nor, again, have the time to moderate... We may reconsider it in the future. :)

However, having said that, we do think it was an interesting idea and are considering offering an alternative 'in-between' option for the time being.
We'll let you all know later (if we decide to go ahead with it, otherwise we'll simply let you know it lead to nowhere.). Please do be patient.
I'll leave this topic open for now, but please be advised that it may be closed if it goes in to soliciting mode again. ;)

Thanks!
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Advertisement: